.. I have read vague descriptions of differing penetration in end grain and side grain, but I didn't account for that in my diagram of holes and PEG coverage. It is more explicitly described here:
It says that end grain penetration is up to 2" but side grain is only 1/2" to 1". At that rate my current drilled hole design would not be sufficient, (I was basing on 2" penetration in EVERY direction). .. This document also says that 10 lbs only yields ONE GALLON of 50% solution! Not so sure about that.
.. I think I'm narrowing down the PEG grade and the 3350 linked in my previous post will not be suitable. The number represents the approximate molecular weight and 3350 would be considered very heavy,(large, dense?). It looks like the Rockler product is 1000, which is what I had also previously determined was the best all around weight for this purpose.
It looks like different things could be done with different weights and sequential treatments, if one had the time, money and inclination to experiment. There is an interesting series of observational statements here, with a bibliography, mostly pertaining to preserving archaeological items of wood:
Let me start by saying I don't know if this is a journal or a showcase so if I selected the wrong one please just put it where it goes.
This afternoon I had a wild hair spring up and I decided to make my first attempts at some dovetails. I took pictures along the way. Let me know if you see anything crazy.
Started with a scrap piece of cedar.
Turned it into a rectangle and ran it through the planer a few times to take the cup out.
Cut it in half and made my layouts the marks are 11/16" apart starting on the far side as your looking at it.
Needed a straight edge for the 7* angle so I set the scroll saw to 7* and cut off a scrap of aspen.
Used my marking knives to start the cuts and then pared away all sides of the tails and used this same method of chopping straight down and slicing away the waste.
I wasn't really sure which lines I was going to need for the tails so I just traced/drew them all on and shaded in the waste.
I purposely made the dovetails long so that I could use my block plane to flush everything at the end.
And final product.
I spent 4 hours making these dovetails. The only thing I used power tool wise was my scroll saw for the 7* jig. I'm sure I left out something so please ask if you have a question on how or why I did something.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk