Introduce Yourself

Tell your fellow forum members who you are, where you hail from, and what type of woodworking you like to do.

971 topics in this forum

• 6 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 2 replies

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Chess chip
      Here are a couple of snapshots: This one shows how much it rocks up when I press the opposite side flat. This give you any different ideas?
    • Fret Saw?
      They work just fine.
    • Gearing Up For My Next Project
      Sounds reasonable to me.  Couldn't agree more about some people just being obnoxious in everything they do.  I once saw a dad watch his teenage son throw garbage at an animal at the zoo.  The dad didn't try to stop him from doing it and didn't say a word after he did it.  I bet both of them talk during movies.  Some people are just the worst.
      I absolutely agree...if I see earnest effort to clean up the mess, I don't think twice about it.  I get compensated to work there and picking up after customers is part of the job.  I'm constantly straightening the top two or three layers after a customer picked through and that's no problem whatsoever...it's when I have to dismantle half of an entire stack because some guy HAD to get that ONE board right out of the MIDDLE of the whole damn stack and he yanked it out of the pile and the whole thing caved in on itself because of it.  Or when a guy digs down the entire SIDE of a stack and leaves it looking like the stepped rice fields in Vietnam.  It doesn't take OCD to think that stack looks like crap and any self-respecting employee would feel compelled and obligated to fix it. There's this line between a reasonable mess for a reasonable cause and an unreasonable mess for an unreasonable cause.  And it's kind of undefinable but you totally know when the latter is happening.  These are the same people who litter and drive slow in the fast lane and talk during movies.  They're obnoxious slobs everywhere else and their behavior is no more forgivable at a lumberyard just because it's a lumberyard. I'm not trying to say you should feel like you have to walk on eggshells...on the contrary, it's a business just like any other and the customer comes first because without customers there is no business.  But some people tend to think - for reasons I can't comprehend - that leaving huge messes is no big deal because it's a lumberyard.  Spend enough time at one and you'll see what I mean.  It wears on a guy who works there and that's probably why the yard workers have the reputation they have.  Respect goes both ways...if customers were more consistently respectful of the yards, the yard workers would be more consistently friendly to the customers.
      I certainly understand the perspective from the other side.  From my perspective, however, buying wood is a big investment - in terms of money, the time put into the project, and the years of looking at the finished project.  Because of that, I want to make sure I have the best boards I can get my hands on.  If this means I have to do some picking through the stacks, then so be it.  I do my very best to put everything back in order, but if it isn't perfect it's not for lack of effort, but simply because I don't know the particular brand of idiosyncratic OCD of the person who works at the lumber yard.  If someone is making a genuine effort to put things back in a neat and orderly way, it shouldn't matter why they are looking for a particular board.   That said, if I am looking for something very specific and I know I am likely going to have to go hunting for it, I will usually say something like, "I am looking for X, so I may need to go digging through the stack, but I will put everything back."  That way they know I at least am trying.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room