Introduce Yourself

Tell your fellow forum members who you are, where you hail from, and what type of woodworking you like to do.

987 topics in this forum

• 19 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 8 replies

• Topics

• In my time of grief, I turned to the shop.
      I do have to complain a little about the whole sequence of events. By introducing Bran Stark's memory time travel thing you recreate present day by modifying memories of the past. Theoretically making Hodor normal up until they had to escape, but showing him as "Hodor" the whole time. 
    • Not a woodworking tool, but powerful!
      Not home made. It is an Australian made machine, very popular with landscape companies. http://www.dingo.com.au/
    • turning with kids
      I'm trying to get her interested in the shop - that was the first success I've had.  re: photos, it's so ridiculously easy to get photos in the shop these days having your phone there.  No way that would have happened before camera phones!   better than my first, too!  luckily she's artistic like her mom! I like the vacuum chuck a lot.  It's the JT Turning Tools model.  The chuck is great - it has a groove for a pvc pipe fitting, then you true up the fitting's edge and apply some sticky craft foam to it.  Much better grip than the longworth in my experience though a bit more fiddly to get it spinning true. I haven't had good luck with changing the pvc fittings in the chuck/hub  (they stick in there pretty well!), so I bought a second one to have 2 different sizes.  That was an extra $80 I wasn't expecting to spend when I first committed to the kit.          
    • Big Stock, Little Tools. ARGHHH.
      I’m making a 4.25”x2’x7’ beech workbench top. I glued up the top in two sections so that I could run each section through my planer. Now I need to connect the two halves. HOWEVER, after planing down the two halves, the inside edges that will be glued together are no longer square to the tops. They are very, very close, but not close enough to be glued together without throwing the top out of flat (or without leaving too big a gap at the glue edge). So I need to square it up. The pieces are too big for my jointer. My jointer bed is a little less than 4’ long and the fence is about 4” high or so. My table saw is a contractor saw, not a cabinet saw. What do you think my best option is for squaring this up? Build extensions for my jointer bed and fence and use the jointer? Build an extension fence for my table saw? I have a Festool TS 75 too and I’m trying to figure out a way to use that perhaps. If I use the table saw then I’ll have to do two cuts, flipping the piece end-to-end, because the blade won’t be high enough to do the cut in one pass. I would have the same problem with the Festool track saw. Holding the work up flat against the jointer fence will be difficult even with extensions in place because each half of the bench top weights 120 pounds. What do you think would be the best way to do this??? Also, I am leaning very strongly toward doing a split top at this point as then this isn’t quite as big a deal. However, I would still need to cut the halves down a little to create the gap for a split. All advice and opinions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room