305 topics in this forum

    • 76 replies
    • 2,885 views
    • 72 replies
    • 2,365 views
    • 54 replies
    • 2,296 views
    • 51 replies
    • 3,665 views
    • 50 replies
    • 4,400 views
    • 45 replies
    • 2,921 views
    • 43 replies
    • 3,061 views
    • 42 replies
    • 19,582 views
    • 42 replies
    • 3,907 views
    • 42 replies
    • 3,854 views
    • 41 replies
    • 6,761 views
    • 41 replies
    • 5,119 views
    • 41 replies
    • 1,513 views
    • 39 replies
    • 3,610 views
    • 37 replies
    • 1,352 views
    • 33 replies
    • 1,204 views
    • 32 replies
    • 1,441 views
    • 31 replies
    • 8,206 views
    • 31 replies
    • 1,319 views
    • 28 replies
    • 29,471 views
    • 28 replies
    • 1,232 views
    • 27 replies
    • 2,257 views
    • 27 replies
    • 1,434 views
    • 26 replies
    • 7,848 views
    • 25 replies
    • 1,864 views


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • So I forgot to take pictures of this part, but I ended up doing a couple of setups on my cross cut sled instead of building the dog breeder jig. I didn't have a spare toggle clamp, and without a band saw to finish the cut I figure it was almost as quick. I cut a block with the 6.6 degree and for the bottom, and wedged the dogs against it for that cut. Next, I stuck down a piece parallel to the blade for the rip cut. This gave me this pile, after a couple of shallow cross cuts to free the waste. I found my gripper to be valuable through this part, because it held the pieces down very securely while keeping my fingers out of the way. It seemed fitting to use the wagon vise to finish these, so I clamped in each dog and used a large chisel to clean off the waste. A couple of them had minor accidents with too much waste splitting off, but all but one were good enough to keep. I'll clean them up a bit with a card scraper later and then install all the wooden springs.
    • Plywood doesn't expand/contract appreciably so it is best to leave it unglued in the groove so the solid wood can move. If you do glue it just put a dab on the center of one of the grooves - maybe the front panels. That will stop it moving but still allow the solid wood to expand or contract without affecting the plywood. If you are making it capable of being repaired so you can slide it in from the back then use some screws on the rear edge. If you glue the entire plywood to the solid wood sides you will find that the plywood may bend or crack. I like a nice sliding fit in the grooves. I am making some small drawers with 3mm thick plywood. I have routed a groove with 1/8" (3.2mm) router and that gives around 0.2mm to 0.3mm clearance which is about 7  to 10 thou ". 
    • Drawer bottoms suffer the most damage from abuse. I think not gluing is at least in part so that repair can be made down the road. Just one thought. 
    • First time staining and sealing something on 3 sides so I can glue it to something else. I was worried about stain transfer, I don't want that brown color getting on the cherry.     Maple scraps came in handy. One more thin strip to glue on the main piece then it's wipe on poly time. This freakish weather is awesome for letting me actually glue stuff in the shop.     Thanks, Coop. I hope it turns out cool. Shouldn't be long now.
  • Popular Contributors

  • Who's Chatting

    There are no users currently in the chat room