Cutting a perfect squares out of sheets

Kuhn315

Plunging track saw with edge guide is pretty good.  You'll still need to touch up at the corners.

Otherwise, rough out with jigsaw, and trim to a template/guide with a router.  (again, you'll need to touch up corners)

by "cutting perfect square" are you mostly worried with having an accurate square layout, or that the edges of the cut be perfect?

Matt

So i went ahead and put the tablesaw on top of the table and made a frame around that, cut out most of the waste with my jig saw and am going to flush cut the rest with a router bit. I want the edges to be snug with the table saw...it will be mounted under the table and pushed up through the hole, I dont want any gaps. I am then going to mount the table saw on a stand (old but sturdy end table) and on the legs of the stand I bought 4 machine levelers to fine tune the height when setting it to the table. Thanks for all the input, appreciate it. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

My budget doesn't allow for any type of festool product =/ or a track saw for that matter lol, the template and flush trim bit on the router worked very well...a couple knocks with the chisel and everything is square and nice clean edges.

Ok, so this is my progress on the table saw build, I have both tables leveled, no gaps around the actual table saw and table..now i just need to make a fence and rail system. cut out the miter slots, and im ready to go! 

P.S. disregard the junk in the background  :rolleyes:

625505_4475822937222_202151572_n.jpg

You could go with a Beismeyer (spelling?) style, riding on rails with two toggle clamps to hold it in place... Or....

My choice would be to add a pair of T Tracks in place of miter slots, and set up a "dual clamp" fence in them.  First clamp would lock the base plate into place, (I'd probably go a 1/2" thick sheet of plywood with perpendicular T Tracks mounted parallel, spaced enough so the blade won't interfere but it covers the T Track not in use) and the second clamp would actually fix the fence down the proper distance you need for each cut.  You're not talking a 24" wide sheet, probably going to be more like 6 or 8 inches wide, but you can now move the fence to either side as needed, and already have a notch at the bottom of the fence for dust and small pieces to move to so they don't bind in the cut.

(Then again, I tend to make things overly complicated... so my ideas might not be the best one for you.  Your other option would be to make a longer fence than you have table, and simply clamp the fence to the table... this way you can use a 2x4 screwed to a long and narrow piece of playwood.... er.... plywood.)

Yeah thats the style I was thinking about but they are made of metal, so i was just thinking making one of wood, I like the t-track idea, but I want to get this done this weekend and I would need to purchase a t slot router bit and rockler and woodcraft take forever to ship, so I might go with the miter slot for now and can always upgrade later. I was thinking about mounting a 2x4 to each side of the table and cut my dado in that as the fence would slide in the slots. I was also thinking of using a vertical toggle clamp as it would clamp the the 2x4 but unsure if that would have enough holding pressure.

Brainstorm moment... what about those magnetic clamps?  Will they hold on the small table surface you have?  That way, you could just use a pair of 2x4s fixed together at a long 90 degree joint, and just have two mag-clamps to hold it in place...

Looking at your photo, you probably won't need to have the extra 2x4 side rails run the entire length of the work surface... maybe 1/3 of the total length will need a 2x4 rail... so you could just cut dados or maybe a french dovetail into them....

As for the toggle clamp, I think they'd work fine, but I've got no experience with a lot of toggle clamp pressure.  The two I have in my shop are used to hold small stock in place for my drill press... and only one of them holds it down to the table top... the other holds to the fence as an alignment guide.