Walnut Hall Table

Eric.

Yeah Tom, it's one board.  It started off a hair bigger than 13 inches, and that was the original depth I planned for, but one of the edges was boogered up pretty badly, so I ended up closer to 12" after cleaning it up.  No biggie.  I was a little concerned about it cupping since it's flat sawn and it's a floating top...but really only the middle section is flat and that's the part secured to the stretchers (for lack of a better word).  The outer 3-4 inches on each side are closer to rift sawn, so it should be stable enough...we will see.  I milled it slowly over the course of about ten days, and movement has been minimal.

You'd love these two new boards I got last month, or so. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tumblewoodcreations/8315679625/in/set-72157632357916031/

WOW!  Those are amazing slabs, Vic.  That QS sycamore is pretty killer, too.  I can never seem to find any around here.  Been wanting to work with some for a while.  Any plans for those maples?

WOW!  Those are amazing slabs, Vic.  That QS sycamore is pretty killer, too.  I can never seem to find any around here.  Been wanting to work with some for a while.  Any plans for those maples?

snapback.png

You'd love these two new boards I got last month, or so. http://www.flickr.co...57632357916031/

Whatcha gonna do with them Vic ?

They'll probably go toward a design I'm working on for a dining table.

i sooo want to see how it ends up  plz !

:)

Heh!  When I start, I'll be sure to document the build.  I'm working on this piece first http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Jfdx0g9nvqk/UPILFAQ0VeI/AAAAAAAAHBE/NtpJzMaNTtU/s320/Console+Draft+2.jpg

I've had a bit of a set back on time due to Spring and all that entails in regard to my household duties.  I need to see if I can get either some Kerf Core or Wiggle Board brought in to one of the local lumber companies.  It's a downside of living in the middle of nowhere.  

I'd love to stop at just saying, "Wow!" but I'm too interested in the details.  I'd love to see some pics of how you managed the floating top, and maybe a sketchup plan.  I don't think I'd want to exactly build this table but I'd love to look more at the details so I can brainstorm some ideas for future projects.

Hey Byrdie, a large part of my design came from Tim Rousseau's table in FWW from a few issues ago.  I'll be honest...I basically stole his system for floating.  Here's the link but I think you have to be a member to view it...

http://www.finewoodworking.com/membership/fwnpdf/011229036.pdf

If you can't download the PDF, it's really easy.  It's just three "rails" that hold the top up.  They join to the front and rear aprons with through tenons, though obviously you don't have to use throughs if you don't want to.  I like how the joinery looks on the aprons, so I went with them.  My rails sit about 13/16" above the apron, but the height of the rails is purely personal preference.  Gentle curves on the bottom of the rails, and severe curves at the ends of the top of the rails lighten the look and give it a more "airy" feel.

Shaping the legs was the most time consuming part of the project, and the through tenons were the most challenging.  Aside from that, it was quite an easy build.

I love everything about this table.  The floating top is often something that to my eye doesn't quite work but you nailed it perfectly here.  The grain on the top is beautiful, as is all the curl on the front.  I love the gentle sweep of the legs, and your through tenons are gorgeous.  

I'm sure it will become a cherished piece in your home!

- EG