oscillating spindle sander or combination disc/belt?

dsaracini

Just a quick poll here.

I've been saving up my pennies and I'm in the market to get a sanding machine.  For those of you that have/had both a oscillating spindle sander and a combination disc/belt, which do you find yourself using most?   In other words, if you were me, which would you buy? 

Thanks for the feed back!

Thanks for all the replies... After some of the suggestions, I did a bit of research on the Ridgid. Is this the one you guys are talking about?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100061671#.UTkW9pFx3Gg

The Toolselect video didn't give it great marks, but I'm just a weekend/hobbyist kind of wood worker.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tsMSQgSNM8

(actually, the guy in the video sorta comes of as a jerk to me)

I think I'm just going to buy one, and give it a shot.

Thanks again to all!

seems that a lot of us have the ridgid unit.  i don't want to hijack the thread, but the following question may be useful to the OP.  where do you guys get your replacement abrasives for the ridgid unit?  im talking more about the sleeves than the belt sander belts

I think it really comes down to the work you do doesn't it? If most of your projects have straight lines an oss wouldn't do you much good, but if you like to work with curves, then an oss is the way to go. In my opinion that's what it comes down to, what would be most useful in the work you do.

Best place for sandpaper>

http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/

seems that a lot of us have the ridgid unit.  i don't want to hijack the thread, but the following question may be useful to the OP.  where do you guys get your replacement abrasives for the ridgid unit?  im talking more about the sleeves than the belt sander belts

Go to the abrasive section of harbor frieght they sell the sleeves in different grits and they are cheap also they seem to me to last better than the set that came with the sander.

I have the oscillating spindle sander and a combo disk/belt sander. I very rarely use the disk/belt sander but use the OSS frequently as I put a lot of curves into my work.

The other reason the disk/belt sander isn't used so often is because it is a benchtop model and spends most of its time on the shelf. It is a heavy lump of cast iron and is a pain to get out for small jobs. The OSS is permanently setup and is a floor mounted model.

• 5 years later...