Hoboken, NJ Newbie

Jamie McGannon

Hey guys I'm Jamie from Hoboken! I recently started listening to the podcast and cruising TWW network of media and as I type i am streaming episode #53 in delight. 

My ups delivery guy's back is sore these days dropping off a Kapex, KapexMFT, T55, OF1400, MFT/3 x2, CT26, SysPort, RO150, LR32, PS300, various Sortainers, Leigh DR4 Pro, Lie-Neilsen(ThePlaneSet).

I am really fascinated with the hobby and the depth of knowledge and expertise needed to create projects such as the ones that have been featured in TWW Guild. I'm looking forward to joining the Guild and building the Roubo spilt top bench and a number of other projects. I have a 4 month old son who would love the rocking horse so that is on the immediate list as well. 

Looking forward to contributing to the WTO community and sharing my experiences as I hone my skills.

Cheers,

Jamie 

post-13599-0-82413000-1363299492_thumb.j

Hey Jamie

Welcome to WTO good to have another Festool fan join the gang here . You did a great job on picking out new tools , you'll love them all .  Everyone once in a while he have a get together in someone's shop so keep an eye out for our next meet up . We have guys come from all over South Jersey , North Jersey , MD and PA .  Check out the live chat and cams when you get a chance , there's a great group of people that hang out in there every night . 

Regards

Jerry

Hey Jerry, nice to virtually meet you. Are you planning on going to the JLC event? I'm thinking about making the drive and wondered if any have been to that show and what to expect.

I have been bitten by the Green bug and to date very happy with my decision to invest in what I believe is the best manufacturer in the market.

Is this a formal group that gets together? I am interested in joining a club.

Cheers,

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jamie,

You chose very well to set up your shop!

I've never been disappointed by Festool or L-N.

Don't forget an air cleaner though!

I work out of the basement, so I catch hell when I kick dust around the house.

Once I got a shop fan filter to catch the little airborne stuff the main collection missed, and added a dust deputy to keep the main filters clean complaints dropped by a good 80%.

(Until I'm finishing a piece...oh well.)

Hoboken: home of the best shwarma, Cuban sandwiches, and Maxwell's!

Been too long since I've been there...

Cheers! mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jamie,

You chose very well to set up your shop!

I've never been disappointed by Festool or L-N.

Don't forget an air cleaner though!

I work out of the basement, so I catch hell when I kick dust around the house.

Once I got a shop fan filter to catch the little airborne stuff the main collection missed, and added a dust deputy to keep the main filters clean complaints dropped by a good 80%.

(Until I'm finishing a piece...oh well.)

Hoboken: home of the best shwarma, Cuban sandwiches, and Maxwell's!

Been too long since I've been there...

Cheers! mike.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mike.

Sounds like you know Hoboken rather well. I'm really happy with Festool, what's not to be happy about right? And I look forward to making enough dust to worry about an air cleaner, I'm still setting up the shop space!

Cheers,

Jamie

• 1 year later...

Hey Jamie,

I'm a new member of the forum and a Hoboken resident.  I'm new to wood work and would love to pick your brain.  I'm looking for a good way to get into the field as a hobby.  Currently I build fly fishing rods and throw clay/ceramics... I'm not sure if there is a direct way to contact someone on this forum but you can drop me an email if you get this and care to.  bk_pcchina@yahoo.com

Brian 

Hey Brian,

Thanks for reaching out. Like you I was a newbie a few years ago and I found the best way to get involved with woodworking was to use the internet for all its capabilities, social media, websites, podcast, etc. I also joined the Professional Woodworkers Guild of North Jersey, http://www.njwoodguild.com/

It is a great way to meet others who are either professionals by day or hobbyist like you and me. Give it a look and let me know if you'd like to come to one of our monthly meetings. There is no obligation to join the guild at that time.

I need to update my profile, I recently moved out of Hoboken.

Cheers,

Jamie