Supporting the Forum

I would personally be happy to support this site monetarily. And, I applaud you for the course taken. I get tired of the PBS stations playing great programs during their twice a year fund raising weeks. Then the whining Emcee and his/her assistant comes on with their blather about how much good your donation does. This goes on and on. When the begging is over after a week its back to programs that, for lack of a better word, suck. I can't speak (post) for others, but I'll bet there are many others that feel the same. I will be buying through the web sites linked to WOOD WHISPERER. COM.

Besides using the shopping links, you can buy "]WoodWhisperer gear. I recommend the wiping varnish DVD, and I also own and enjoy the travel mug, T-shirts, and push sticks. The push sticks make great gifts from someone who just got a new tablesaw.

Have you seen the new _Funkadelic TWW Guild Ts? They're awesome!! Got to get me a couple of those!!!
When are those available, Marc?

Sounds reasonable to me. As a beginner I could really use a few books. Maybe a few recommendations from the more experienced people here?

The two books I consider "must have", and would just keeping buying if my house repeatedly burned down:

Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing"

Hylton's "Illustrated Cabinetmaking"

Its been about two months since we moved over from the Ning site and frankly, I couldn't be happier with the participation level. You guys really took this new site and made it your own. We'll be hitting 2,000 members soon with nearly 8,000 posts! Just amazing! So thanks for making this forum one of the most helpful and friendly woodworking communities out there.

As many of you know, forum software and hosting doesn't come cheap. And while I am not hellbent on making money off the forum, I want to make sure it is, at the very least, self-supporting. So that means I have a few options. I am sure you've seen other forums where they put ads after the first post in every topic, or they put a giant ad at the top of the page that dwarfs the website's own logo. Well, I find these ads annoying and intrusive and I have no intention of doing that here. Instead, I am going to try to focus on our affiliate programs. Let me explain how this works for those that don't know.

The banners in the sidebar may look like ads, but they're not. They are just links that have our affiliate code attached to them. So if you click the link and make a purchase, we will receive a small percentage of the sale as an affiliate fee. This doesn't cost you a dime. The fee is paid by the vendor and you get your stuff at the same price. So how much of the sale goes to us? I have no problem disclosing that information since I know you must be curious.

Rockler - 5%

Woodworker's Books Shop - 12%

Eagle America - 5%

Amazon.com - 6-8% (depending on # of sales)

As always, we appreciate your support and wish you the best on your woodworking journey!

Marc,

Do you know if there is a way to "be sure" that TWW gets the affiliate fee?

I have made Amazon purchases through the link, but is appears no different on the buyer end from just going to the site. It would be nice to know that the extra "clicks" of the mouse is being used how we percieve it to be.

Brett

Marc,

Do you know if there is a way to "be sure" that TWW gets the affiliate fee?

I have made Amazon purchases through the link, but is appears no different on the buyer end from just going to the site. It would be nice to know that the extra "clicks" of the mouse is being used how we percieve it to be.

Brett

They really don't have anything in place for the end user to know the affiliate is being tracked. But if you use the link and you make the purchase within 24 hrs, you can be pretty sure it went through. We have tested this many times and it always works.

In all honesty I've become used to banner ads. If they are relatively small and not annoying and help pay the bills... well... :unsure: I never click on them but if you get paid for just having them there... Not sure how it works.

Well the ads in the forum are for our affiliates. So we don't get paid for them being there. They are there for convenience if anyone plans on using those vendors for their purchases.

Does this apply to people in Europe using Amazon? Perhaps you should try to get Axminster Power Tools www.axminster.co.uk interested they probably sell more tools, machines and equipment for almost anything in UK and Europe than just about anyone else. a great idea. I hate going on sites that swamp you with ads even before you can access the site.

Guest Mahoganus

I had amazon on our site and its very flaky. It would always work for me but I would have people say hay I bought xxxxx do you see it on Amazon affiliates,,, I would look and could never find the purchase. I contacted amazon a few times and they blamed it on somebody or something.

I will use the Amazon link and all other links as well,, just pmo too we just bought the comfort Air Mattress 3500.00 and then a week later I see the comfort air link here <_< .

We seem to make better money using the click links, .5 cents here and there adds up in a month,, like http://www.linkshare.com/,,, (I wouldnt necessarily use linkshare). But those links can sometimes take over your site ...hahah