Supporting the Forum

Dang!!! Wish I would have known the money I spend supports this site from these retailers. I've just spent a couple grand on tools in the last month... Sorry. From now on I will be using the links on the side. I still have a bunch more to buy!!!! Hopefully you'll be seeing some of my $$ soon. Thanks for everything Marc. I love the site!!!!!

Its been about two months since we moved over from the Ning site and frankly, I couldn't be happier with the participation level. You guys really took this new site and made it your own. We'll be hitting 2,000 members soon with nearly 8,000 posts! Just amazing! So thanks for making this forum one of the most helpful and friendly woodworking communities out there.

As many of you know, forum software and hosting doesn't come cheap. And while I am not hellbent on making money off the forum, I want to make sure it is, at the very least, self-supporting. So that means I have a few options. I am sure you've seen other forums where they put ads after the first post in every topic, or they put a giant ad at the top of the page that dwarfs the website's own logo. Well, I find these ads annoying and intrusive and I have no intention of doing that here. Instead, I am going to try to focus on our affiliate programs. Let me explain how this works for those that don't know.

The banners in the sidebar may look like ads, but they're not. They are just links that have our affiliate code attached to them. So if you click the link and make a purchase, we will receive a small percentage of the sale as an affiliate fee. This doesn't cost you a dime. The fee is paid by the vendor and you get your stuff at the same price. So how much of the sale goes to us? I have no problem disclosing that information since I know you must be curious.

Rockler - 5%

Woodworker's Books Shop - 12%

Eagle America - 5%

Amazon.com - 6-8% (depending on # of sales)

As always, we appreciate your support and wish you the best on your woodworking journey!

Edited by Paul-Marcel
Corrected quote for Nate

Dang!!! Wish I would have known the money I spend supports this site from these retailers. I've just spent a couple grand on tools in the last month... Sorry. From now on I will be using the links on the side. I still have a bunch more to buy!!!! Hopefully you'll be seeing some of my $$ soon. Thanks for everything Marc. I love the site!!!!!

Okay things are slow cuz of WIA so fess up... what did you get?!?! :)

P.S., I edited your post to correct the quote since the start of the markup was missing

Okay things are slow cuz of WIA so fess up... what did you get?!?! :)

P.S., I edited your post to correct the quote since the start of the markup was missing

Is this the right place to put the reply?? I'm pretty new to the forum site so thanks for the correction. Anyways, I just bought the big daddy festool router, the 2200 along with the big 36 series dust collector and also the accessory package that goes with it. Also a 55" track and a few other things. Spending $$ on new tools is soooo addicting. I just can't stop! I've been woodworking for a few years now just as a hobby but I find myself wanting to do it more and more all the time. I'm not very good at it yet but I think that having great tools never hurts! This is my first festool so I hope it's the bomb! Can't wait to run some deep grooves with the 2200 and the track to see how it performs along with the dust collector!

Ooh, you'll love it. I have the OF1400, not the OF2200, but even that smaller model rocks.

Now, when did you get the OF2200? It is currently on promotion since October 1st with 10% off and all its accessories (like the accessory kit with all the bases). If you got it before that, but within the 30 day money-back guarantee, you might be able to go back to the dealer to "return and rebuy" the unit for the discount. 10% off that router is no small peanuts.

Ooh, you'll love it. I have the OF1400, not the OF2200, but even that smaller model rocks.

Now, when did you get the OF2200? It is currently on promotion since October 1st with 10% off and all its accessories (like the accessory kit with all the bases). If you got it before that, but within the 30 day money-back guarantee, you might be able to go back to the dealer to "return and rebuy" the unit for the discount. 10% off that router is no small peanuts.

I got it on Oct. 1st. Yes, I did get the 10% off. Still a spendy router though!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Marc, have you considered memberships other than to The Guild?

I would love to join the guild, but I simply cannot afford that much.

I have gained a great deal of information from all of the TWW sites, and would gladly pay a reasonable membership fee, to help keep things 'on the air'.

Hi

I'm not all criticizing but I found the Guild to be quite reasonable. And you get A LOT of video for your money. (not to mention all the other things)

If you do the math it might equal the cost of a Grande Starbucks drink once a week.

Coffee for thought! :)

Marc, have you considered memberships other than to The Guild?

I would love to join the guild, but I simply cannot afford that much.

I have gained a great deal of information from all of the TWW sites, and would gladly pay a reasonable membership fee, to help keep things 'on the air'.

Hi

I'm not all criticizing but I found the Guild to be quite reasonable. And you get A LOT of video for your money. (not to mention all the other things)

If you do the math it might equal the cost of a Grande Starbucks drink once a week.

Coffee for thought! :)

While I normally would agree with you, I'm one of the many who took a huge hit when the economy tanked. 10% pay cut, no COLA, health insurance modified just prior to needing open heart surgery last year,which means i'm paying the full cost of the surgeon out of pocket, and paying cash for our daughters college education, so she has no debt. The annuity we had for her college disappeared when the market tanked.

There isn't Starbucks, or any extras to speak of in my house right now.

All I'm saying is that rather than renewing a couple of woodworking mags, I'd rather Marc get it to help keep things afloat.

While I normally would agree with you, I'm one of the many who took a huge hit when the economy tanked. 10% pay cut, no COLA, health insurance modified just prior to needing open heart surgery last year,which means i'm paying the full cost of the surgeon out of pocket, and paying cash for our daughters college education, so she has no debt. The annuity we had for her college disappeared when the market tanked.

There isn't Starbucks, or any extras to speak of in my house right now.

All I'm saying is that rather than renewing a couple of woodworking mags, I'd rather Marc get it to help keep things afloat.

Hi Mike, the current economy has hit all of us, some harder than others. If I were in your shoes I would take care of my own for now, if you order from amazon or rockler take the links through Marc's store he'll get a small piece of revenue. When you get back on your feet join the guild I think you'll get alot out of it, till then I wish you the best and look forward to seeing you on the forum. Pat

Hi Mike, the current economy has hit all of us, some harder than others. If I were in your shoes I would take care of my own for now, if you order from amazon or rockler take the links through Marc's store he'll get a small piece of revenue. When you get back on your feet join the guild I think you'll get alot out of it, till then I wish you the best and look forward to seeing you on the forum. Pat

I can't say it better than that.

Amazon.com - 6-8% (depending on # of sales)

When you say "depending on # of sales", do you mean dollar amount, or count of orders?

Basically, I'm looking at purchasing some stuff from Amazon and I wanted to know if I should break the order up (increase count) or just do it all as one order if the dollar amount is all that matters.

Yessir! Anything and everything at Amazon will count if you use that link.

Cool. I buy from Amazon all the time. I'll be using the links to get there from now on. Glad you mentioned this, Marc. I wasn't aware of it. (I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes.) :lol:

the other day I purchased some stuff from eagle america I got there from the guild discount link does that count or is it just from the main tww site?

The Guild discount link is tracked, so Eagle America can tell the buyer came from the Guild site, but we don't get the affiliate fee for that one. In the case of the Guild, the "fee" Eagle America is paying go toward your discount. For us to receive an affilate fee, you would have to use the links on the TWW site or the WTO site. Technically, you can do both if you use the coupon code AND you go to EA via the affiliate link. But as a courtesy to Eagle America, I keep the affiliate link out of the Guild URL.

I would like to see a section on the Links page with all of the affiliate links. I wouldn't mind seeing a "Sponsors" subsection of the "Affiliates" section either so that they still get preferential treatment. That way it makes it really easy to see who is an affiliate/sponsor and who isn't.

If not, then I'll keep referring to this thread and using the "ads" on the side and bottom of pages.

Hey, I have just updated the further reading post but would like to link the books to the Amazon store. Is there a way for me to link them so that if someone clicks the link and buys the book it is registered as being bought from the Wood Whisperer community?

Do I just have to follow the TWW amazon link and then link everything from that? I don't understand how the affiliate scheme works :huh:

cheers!