Supporting the Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got bookmarks for Amazon and Rockler that include the WoodWhisperer affiliate tag, so that whenever I shop there I'm supporting the site. Just follow the link from TheWoodWhisperer, navigate to wherever you want within the vendors site, and then bookmark the page.

I am going to redue some book marks, I didn't know that put the Wood Whisperer's affiliate tag to the site. Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its been about two months since we moved over from the Ning site and frankly, I couldn't be happier with the participation level. You guys really took this new site and made it your own. We'll be hitting 2,000 members soon with nearly 8,000 posts! Just amazing! So thanks for making this forum one of the most helpful and friendly woodworking communities out there.

As many of you know, forum software and hosting doesn't come cheap. And while I am not hellbent on making money off the forum, I want to make sure it is, at the very least, self-supporting. So that means I have a few options. I am sure you've seen other forums where they put ads after the first post in every topic, or they put a giant ad at the top of the page that dwarfs the website's own logo. Well, I find these ads annoying and intrusive and I have no intention of doing that here. Instead, I am going to try to focus on our affiliate programs. Let me explain how this works for those that don't know.

The banners in the sidebar may look like ads, but they're not. They are just links that have our affiliate code attached to them. So if you click the link and make a purchase, we will receive a small percentage of the sale as an affiliate fee. This doesn't cost you a dime. The fee is paid by the vendor and you get your stuff at the same price. So how much of the sale goes to us? I have no problem disclosing that information since I know you must be curious.

Rockler - 5%

Woodworker's Books Shop - 12%

Eagle America - 5%

Amazon.com - 6-8% (depending on # of sales)

As always, we appreciate your support and wish you the best on your woodworking journey!

Then I finally got around to using your rockler link.

Enjoy the cut.

TR

• 2 months later...

Mark you need to get the Amazon link info out on your home page. I buy stuff from them all the time and unless I stumbled on the thread had no idea it would help you. Myself and I assume many of us would be more than happy to get you some $$$ for all the free help you provide us. Come on man spread the word.....

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled on to this thread. I was not aware of the affiliate sites, or for that matter what an affiliate site meant (didn't realize you got a%). Marc, can I suggest you put something a little prominently on the home page? As a newbie, I am frequenting many of these sites to set up my shop. If I was aware of the links I would have used them. I just updated all my links for future purchases.

You might even consider mentioning your affiliate status (and explaining what it means) in your welcome letter to new people as they sign up to Wood Whisperer.

Great website and forums

Thanks

Bill

Thanks Bill. We try to be pretty low key about it when possible. For as many people who would willingly support us through our affiliates, there are probably just as many who would get annoyed at being reminded about it. So I'd rather rather fall on the low key side of things just for good relations. The links are on the forum home page, in the sidebar and in the footer. And on the TWW home page you can find them near the footer as well as on the Amazon.com store page (link in the top navbar).

I suppose it couldn't hurt to mention it in a video or the newsletter at some point though. These days I'm just happy to get content out, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I order a lot from Amazon.de. Since my account works on Amazon.com and Amazon.fr as well, do you think your affiliation code might work as well?

Also, where exactly are those links you are talking about? I have yet to find them and I'm actively looking ;).

Edit: Never mind, found them :D

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure how it works if you have a wishlist setup. All I know for sure that works is if you use a link from our site to go to Rockler and you add an item to your cart and purchase, the sale will count for us. Most of these programs require that the item be added to the cart AFTER clicking the link and items already added to the count won't count. They also tend to have cookies that expire fairly quickly. So if you add items to your cart after clicking our link and then leave it for 24 hrs, the system might drop our affiliate cookie by the time you go to make the purchase. Here's the generic link that includes our affiliate code in case you need it: http://www.rockler.com/index.cfm?sid=AFN86

I order a lot from Amazon.de. Since my account works on Amazon.com and Amazon.fr as well, do you think your affiliation code might work as well?

Also, where exactly are those links you are talking about? I have yet to find them and I'm actively looking ;).

Edit: Never mind, found them :D

Glad you found them. Honestly, I have no idea if anything international counts for us. I am sure the details are in the fine print somewhere but I'm inclined to say that this will only work for true orders being placed domestically at amazon.com.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...