Thinking of going into PT business

sgregory

Thanks for the heads up; as for the 2 pictures I took off Google images I had no idea as to how to contact those people but they were the closest to the 2 tables that I have actually done and have since lost pictures of. (over the years and computer stuff, I have lost a ton of pics of projects I have

So you did not build the tables that are shown on your website and FB page? Not only did you steal their photos, but you are representing their work as your own. You can not legally post a photo taken by someone else without their permission. If it was my work you stole you would be getting a C&D letter from an attorney.

So you did not build the tables that are shown on your website and FB page? Not only did you steal their photos, but you are representing their work as your own. You can not legally post a photo taken by someone else without their permission. If it was my work you stole you would be getting a C&D letter from an attorney.

Not those exact ones no; but I took those down and replaced them. I see what you guys mean. I dont want to represent someone else's work as my own. After thinking about it...I would be irritated if I saw someone else doing the same to me. I emailed those 2 clients to see if they can send me pictures of how they look now and will use those pics!

• Like 1

Sorry I didnt mean to call you out.  I really dont think the intensions were bad. The way it works now days is you dont get the cease and desist. Company are fed up with paying lawyers to write letters. These days they are sending you a bill for legal services and a demand. Dont pay and it just grows, somebody has to pay the lawyers.

Personally I would just take down all the photos until you can do better. They dont do any justice and look very unprofessional. You dont need a high end camera to take good photos its all about the lighting an iphone or good P&S will do just fine. Resolution is usually the same from p&s to dslr. The difference is the resolving power of the lense and larger sensor. P&S are actually better at close focusing unless you buck up some big money on camera and macro lens combos. This is completely unnecessary for internet photos you wont be able to tell the difference with the naked eye on such a small photos. 

Good Luck

• Like 1

Another thing about taking pictures, take A LOT. You will get home an have a choice on which one you want.

Just when you think you have taken enough, take 20 more. I'm serious. I have taken a lot of nature shots with a pretty high end DSLR, and even they can come out terrible because of one variable that went overlooked. Mainly lighting, and my ever jittery hands.

First off, I'm glad you took them down.

Particle Board is correct, you don't need a fancy camera to shoot the pics. To add to what he said, make sure your backgrounds are clean and the photos are sized properly for the website. The ones I saw on there had the wrong proportions and the resolution was wrong. I'm sure you don't have a copy of Photoshop but you can download "The Gimp" which is a free image editor. Crop the photos to the size of the window and save at 72 dpi.

Let me know of you have any photography questions, I have shot professionally for years.

Chris

I really wish I had taken better pics when I had the items...I hadnt ever really anticipated trying to make a go out of this but rather keeping it as a hobby. I will surely take you guys' suggestions as things move forward. Already have a table and several cutting boards commissioned. Those will have to be the start of my actual portfolio!

Im also going to revamp that site again...its just not near clean or professional enough for my taste.

and this is the logo I am looking at using. Had a grafics artist friend of mine help me on this one!

http://i.imgur.com/eFDJeEU.jpg

I really wish I had taken better pics when I had the items...I hadnt ever really anticipated trying to make a go out of this but rather keeping it as a hobby. I will surely take you guys' suggestions as things move forward. Already have a table and several cutting boards commissioned. Those will have to be the start of my actual portfolio!

Im also going to revamp that site again...its just not near clean or professional enough for my taste.

and this is the logo I am looking at using. Had a grafics artist friend of mine help me on this one!

http://i.imgur.com/eFDJeEU.jpg

Again its not a good idea to take someones logo vector it add your name and call it yours. 

No, I commissioned it! paid for it and everything.  I just told him what I wanted and this is what we came up with together.

Bummer. That logo belongs to the KC woodworker guild. The plane is an exact vector, saw blade has same number of teeth just mirrored. Your name is irrelevant. You need to ask for a license agreement.

Bummer. That logo belongs to the KC woodworker guild. The plane is an exact vector, saw blade has same number of teeth just mirrored. Your name is irrelevant. You need to ask for a license agreement.

HOLY CRAP! I just googled them. That is fricking amazing. Thanks for the heads up. I will contact them as well as my artist and let him know!

Even my artist was amazed at how much that resembled eachother. He's doing a revamp of it as we speak.

Thanks again man! I sure dont want any issues when it comes to logos!

This is why Im glad I posted here asking for advice and help....gotta go to the pro's!

Thanks Beechwood! In my original talks with my artist I told him I wanted the saw to kinda of look like a sun. I think this second rendering nailed exactly what i was looking for. I thought that the sun/blade fit perfectly with the name. Timber ridge sounds naturalistic so the visual you got was exactly what I was intending! 

Thanks everyone else for the advice on my pics. Like I was saying, I never really anticipated going this route so never actually took good photos. Just some pics that I would post on my personal facebook page. From here out though, I am going to ensure that I get good clear backgrounds and working on my lighting and pictures of the details. 

Looks better, Im not sure if the likeness is an issue or not but can ask the wife. If you can spend some more time on your 3D designs and put in some details they tend to look better to your customers. Here is a little kitchen I did and  posted. You can add all the little details and give the designs a "lived in" look.

gallery_5350_759_20131.jpg

• Like 1

Looks better, Im not sure if the likeness is an issue or not but can ask the wife. If you can spend some more time on your 3D designs and put in some details they tend to look better to your customers. Here is a little kitchen I did and  posted. You can add all the little details and give the designs a "lived in" look.

gallery_5350_759_20131.jpg

Which rendering progream do you use? I recently purchased twilight render  Im still getting used to the materials and getting it to photo quality like your, that is awesome rendering work man!

Which rendering progream do you use? I recently purchased twilight render  Im still getting used to the materials and getting it to photo quality like your, that is awesome rendering work man!

You won't get that sort of quality but giving your drawings some personal details helps people visualize dimension. Everyone knows what size a coffee pot or a cup is. Just looks nicer than a empty sterile drawing. I use 2020 its a pro system out of the practical reach for diy. You can do the same in sketch up just without the rendering.

• 4 weeks later...