Sheet Goods Cart

mikeneron

There is another thread by Matt regarding sheet goods storage, but here is another one that I made recently. I posted in the Sketchup Library, but am not sure if it still needs to be approved?

I used 2x4s for the base (basically torsion box). I ripped 2x4s in half for the A-frame support. If I was to do this all over again, I would have just bought 2x2s for this as after ripping the 2x4s, most of them had wicked bows in them.

Also, I glued down the frames to the base. If I ever want to move this cart out of my basement, I will have to cut it apart. I used the Dowelmax for the construction. The casters are 5" swivels (no brake) and are rated to 300 lbs each. I also bought a couple 12' tow straps to secure the sheets as you wouldn't want all that weight falling off and hurting anyone. Right now it's loaded up with 26 sheets of 5/8" plywood and a bunch of old 2x4s. With this much weight, it takes a bit of effort to move around...but is still manageable by yourself.

PlywoodCart002Medium.jpg

PlywoodCart005Medium.jpg

There is another thread by Matt regarding sheet goods storage, but here is another one that I made recently. I posted in the Sketchup Library, but am not sure if it still needs to be approved?

I used 2x4s for the base (basically torsion box). I ripped 2x4s in half for the A-frame support. If I was to do this all over again, I would have just bought 2x2s for this as after ripping the 2x4s, most of them had wicked bows in them.

Also, I glued down the frames to the base. If I ever want to move this cart out of my basement, I will have to cut it apart. I used the Dowelmax for the construction. The casters are 5" swivels (no brake) and are rated to 300 lbs each. I also bought a couple 12' tow straps to secure the sheets as you wouldn't want all that weight falling off and hurting anyone. Right now it's loaded up with 26 sheets of 5/8" plywood and a bunch of old 2x4s. With this much weight, it takes a bit of effort to move around...but is still manageable by yourself.

PlywoodCart002Medium.jpg

PlywoodCart005Medium.jpg

Great design! It should be really useful in the shop!

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but you may want to consider some more casters. You mentioned that the casters you're using are rated for 300 lbs. By my estimation, you have somewhere between 1300 & 1900 pounds of sheetgoods on the cart alone. I'd hate to be a foot trapped under the cart if one of the casters fail.

-gp