Marc's Grizzly Tracksaw review

prov163

I watched Marc's review of the Grizzly Tracksaw today, and as always, I found it honest, thorough, and engaging. I agree with him that comparing it to the Festool would be unfair (I don't own any Festool products but respect their quality). This is probably, as Marc said, a great tool if all you are going to so is break down sheet goods to rough size then do your final dimensioning at the table saw. While I was hoping it would yield better results - it's in my price range - I will save a bit more and eventually buy the Festool if I use more sheet goods than I presently do.

Thanks again Marc for an excellent and honest review!!!

Grey Ghost. I completely agree with you. You get what you pay for...I really do wonder if the cut quality would be greatly improved with a better blade. That is, assuming the one that came on the saw is of low quality. I also wonder how hard it would be to replace the spring with one of less tension. One thing is for sure. It is priced right, and really making me think about picking one up....

lol I dont think I'd get very far in the world of politics. I am honest, hard-working, and I don't cheat on my wife.

You got my vote!  

An interesting thought would be to do a follow-up video showing the steps necessary to get the saw "tuned up".  It would be interesting to see what it would take (if it could be done) to get the saw working a little more closely to some of the other high end track saws.

I was disappointed when I saw that the new episode was a review show, but after watching you put on an entertaining and honest show as usual.  

My favorite part was when you said something like now lets go over to my sheet cutting area I like to call it the floor.

Thanks.

If I was cross cutting apiece of plywood without a super premium blade I would put masking tape over the cut line on all sides and rub it down smooth and wrinkle free before I marked and cut.

Other than that the review was fair and about what I expected. Better than a saw and straightedge, but less than the Festool.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the review and think the tool is reasonable for its purpose.  Personally, I'm going to stick with my circular saw and whatever straight edge I happen to clamp on for now.  I can't justify the expense to replace the system I already have if it works.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if the back of the grizzly is compatible with the festool?  What I mean is, I need a MFT but have a grizzly.  I am wondering if I bought a MFT, could I replace the festool track with a grizzly track?  I need something where I can flip the track up and then pull it back down and have it aligned everytime like the MFT does.  I can't find an answer short of buying a festool just to compare the track.

Does anyone know if the back of the grizzly is compatible with the festool?  What I mean is, I need a MFT but have a grizzly.  I am wondering if I bought a MFT, could I replace the festool track with a grizzly track?  I need something where I can flip the track up and then pull it back down and have it aligned everytime like the MFT does.  I can't find an answer short of buying a festool just to compare the track.

The tracks between the Festool and Grizz are different. But depending on how the MFT connects to the track, it might work. The slots under the track for connecting two tracks is the same size on the two track systems, however, the spacing between them might be different. (I don't have both, so I can't compare the spacing.)

So if it uses the slots in the bottom of the track to connect, and you can adjust the spacing in the connections a bit, then it might just work. 

OK. So you had me curious...

If you look at page 6, of this document: http://festoolusa.com/media/pdf/Getting_the_most_from_the_MFT_multifunction_table.pdf it appears that the track connects using one track connector. You might be able to get this to work.

Now, I know I mentioned that the track connectors are the same size, but I've not verified that myself. I'm just going with what others have said about the Scheppach track saw that I have. (It literally IS the Grizzly, but blue instead of green) The Grizz and Scheppach saw tracks benefit from 2 connectors rather than 1, and some have said they've used the Festool connectors because you can buy just a connector, and not have to buy the entire accessory kit from Grizz.

My suggestion is to find a shop that sells Festool in your area, take your Grizzly track over there and ask them if you can try to install a Grizzly track on their showroom MFT, with the promise that if it fits, you'll buy one.

If dealer prices are too high, then you could always order on Amazon with the intent to return it if it doesn't work.