Table saw sled storage

dsaracini

Ok; probably kind of a dumb question, but where the heck do you store your table saw crosscut sled?  I've been wanting to build one for a while, but I think one of the things that stops me is that I really don't have a place to put it in my small shop when I'm not using it, and I worry that trying to hang it on the wall might cause it to go out of square over time.  Seems like it would need to be stored laying down with a piece supporting the middle so it will not sag.

I guess this really doesn't have to be limited to crosscut sleds...  I guess a miter sled would have the same issues.

Any reply will be appreciated, but *each* picture is worth a 1000 words!  :)

Thanks!

I usually stand mine up either next to my bench or some other "out of the way" place.

I don't see how hanging it would knock it out of square. Bore a few holes through the base and hang it on a few hooks or pegs. I don't think I'd hang it from a single hook .

I hear ya. My shop is a mess as well and before I can clean it a project crops up that needs the nth do dad jig to get the job done. So after the cross cut sled, where do you store your box joint jig sled, your 45 deg. miter sled.... :blink::lol:  Space is always an issue, right?

Sled?   How about "sleds"?  You can't have just one! :D

Most schools and shops I've seen either hang them from slatboard, from pairs of holes drilled in one end, or slide them into a rack of some sort, similar to a baker's rack.

I'm short of wall space, so mine lean against the right end of the saw, like books, except for my 9 x24 "main" crosscut sled and taper rip sleds, which hang from a single screw (each) above the saw.  The ones that lean include my dado sled and large panel sled.

Hanging your properly made sled will not knock it out out of square any more than hanging your bicycle from a hook will knock it out of alignment or knock the wheels out of round.  B)

Sled?   How about "sleds"?  You can't have just one! :D

Most schools and shops I've seen either hang them from slatboard, from pairs of holes drilled in one end, or slide them into a rack of some sort, similar to a baker's rack.

I'm short of wall space, so mine lean against the right end of the saw, like books, except for my 9 x24 "main" crosscut sled and taper rip sleds, which hang from a single screw (each) above the saw.  The ones that lean include my dado sled and large panel sled.

Hanging your properly made sled will not knock it out out of square any more than hanging your bicycle from a hook will knock it out of alignment or knock the wheels out of round.  B)

Well, wood and bicycles behave a little differently :)

I'm think about building an assembly table to go under by table saw's table (if that make sense).  as a part of the assembly table, I'm thinking about include 3 slots (baker-rack like) for sleds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I tend to store things like sleds, vac hoses, vices, etc randomly on the shop floor where i'll be forced to step around them for days/weeks/years until the day I almost trip and get pissed-enough to actually put them away on purpose-built pegs that I hung years ago specifically for the item in question... go figure...

On a side note, I do insist that my shop helper put everything away after each use :)

lmfao! Man we could be related... Except the only shop help I have is the occasional visiting rodent, and he won't put ANYTHING away, I think I'm going to have to fire his ass!

I drilled two holes in the sled base. No harm there, it isn't going to affect accuracy.

Two screws in the wall and there you go. You mount it on the wall. The weight is on the base so won't affect the fence and the cross cut sled is out of the way.

I'd be nervous of putting it in the floor or any other surface because of moisture differential.