Hello from Florida panhandle

butcherer

Just learned of this site in July 2013 issue of Wood magazine.  Haven't really taken the full tour of this site, but looks interesting.  I am a member of Handyman Club, tried to participate some on the Shopsmith forums since I have two of them. No formal training or apprenticeship.  What I have learned has been from reading books, magazines, watching videos and the University of Experience.  Have built bookcases, 1 desk, several bandsaw boxes, 3 pirate chests, several toys and have given some of them to missionaries.  Have two bandsaws, one jointer, disk sander, biscuit joiner with all the other usual features of Shopsmith.  Have several hand held power tools, plus a few that is manual handtools.  Haven't learned to plane yet, but looking forward to it.  Just learning to turn some.  Have lessons coming, can hardly wait to see what I've been missing.

Retired from DOD as a federal employee.  Started making decals, painting aircraft instruments (inside and out), decaling, silk screening to support our military aviation.  Can tell you more than you wish in that field.  Took a pay cut to get where I wanted to go.  In 1993, someone decided that I should be a computer programmer.  So, read those boring books until I could master that art.  In 2003, a no bid contractor came in and asked what I did.  When I explained and showed, I was told that my service was no longer needed, so was able to retire.  Wife has MS, woodworking is an escape and a joy.  To imagine what is within that stick or board and have it come to life is just fascinating.  Still learning and at age 65, sometimes, forget to take steps that I well know should have been taken.  But, it's all forgiveable and often correctable.  I hope to find other woodworkers close by here in Pensacola, FL and to learn from experienced folks.  Thanks for listening to all my rambling intro.