Refinishing sunbleached(?) rosewood table top

servusdei

Hello folks,

I have a Rosewood table that was in a sunny room with a runner down the center. After many years the area where the runner was is much darker than the rest of the table, appearing to be unbleached. I am wanting to get the table back to what the wood was like under the runner but am unsure as how to proceed. Initially, my thoughts are to strip the finish and sand till the wood is uniform. I was told the top is solid but I cannot confirm. I have attached a picture. What would you recommend? I find it strange that the wood would lighten with sun rather than darken like cherry and other woods do. I also wonder if the table reacted to the runner somehow and it should be the lighter shading I should be matching, but  I do prefer that darker. Thank you in advance for your time.

Howard

post-14032-0-17328400-1368450019_thumb.j

Your not going to fix it by sitting out in the sun. Like GSH stated you will need to strip and sand. Make sure it is solid before you start. Look at the underside it should be obvious if not bore a small shallow hole to check. If its veneer it can still be fixed but may require a toner to darken it up. If it is veneer, you just need to be careful not to sand through.

Your not going to fix it by sitting out in the sun. 

Why?  I installed tigerwood floors about 6 years ago.  Every time we move a piece of furniture or a rug, there's a light spot where the sun couldn't get to the wood.  After a few weeks or a month, the color evens out and you can't tell the difference.  

Why?  I installed tigerwood floors about 6 years ago.  Every time we move a piece of furniture or a rug, there's a light spot where the sun couldn't get to the wood.  After a few weeks or a month, the color evens out and you can't tell the difference.  

The sun will lighten the dark spots not darken the light spots. Rose wood is photo sensitive. OP wants to darken the light spots.