Problem with Leg Vise...

Hi again... My last post was about a "problem" I though I had... It turned out to be trivial... This one, not so much...

I got the Benchcrafted kit with the Retro Crisscross leg vise... All was going great, except, in all my excitement and haste, forgot about how the front long rail needs to be a different width and have a different tenon (in comparison to what is shown in the plans or the video) in order for the knockdown joinery to pass behind the crisscross mortise, and routed out the mortises and holes on the leg for the front rail as stipulated in the plans and video. It is no one's but my own fault I know, but I was wondering if there is a convenient way to fix or adjust as opposed to building a new leg since I want to be able to use knockdown joinery for disassembly and transportation in the future...

I'm attaching some photos to illustrate better. The lines are very lightly scribed but the main issue can be seen...

Any suggestions more than welcome...

post-13920-0-26102800-1369107821_thumb.j

post-13920-0-38862500-1369107822_thumb.j

You can plug the mortise and holes and then start over. The hardest part may be finding dowels that fit tightly enough. The chop will hide most, of not all the patches, and if your plugs are tight it should work fine. I built mine with the knock down hardware and when we moved across country the movers just put the whole thing onto the truck in one piece. I think Mark over his by just taking the top off the base and moving it in two parts. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I may be the perfect guy to answer this as I just had the EXACT same thing happed to me.

I actually just cut the trench for the crisscross as you show it in your picture.
Then when I dry fit everything, I was able to mark the tennon on that front stretcher from inside the trench. Then I simply trimmed the tennon on my compound sliding miter saw.

The way mine worked out I only needed to trim about an 1/8 inch of length off the tennon. Judging by your picture you are in the same boat. Although it looks like you bought the Crisscross Retro, whereas I have the Crisscross Solo (which I think is Han Solo's lesser known brother?) Not sure if that makes a difference but I'm guessing it won't.

Anyhow, I was actually able to put the drawbar pegs in exactly the same place I would have put them anyway. It worked out just find and I very much doubt there will be any structural issues with losing that 1/8" of tennon.

IM me if you have questions. As I said, I JUST did this.