Shop Heating

woodbutcher74

I just installed new radiant heat panels from Solid State Heating. Sent them the dimensions of my shop and the insulation. They recommended two of the 2'x8' Wood Shop panels. I have them installed them according to the supplied diagrams. Now all I have to do is wait for fall and winter. Has any body else tried some thing like? If so how did it work?

• 4 months later...

how are your radiant heater panels working? i just hooked up the infrared guy and it's blazing in here! i think i need to clean it because some areas light up brighter than others. i've got it hooked up to a bbq tank right now. the propane people want to jump through 10 hoops before they install a tank/ fill it up. permits, inspections, the whole deal. the bbq tank is working now, trying to calculate the water column pressure, along with the btu's/ per hour / per tank/ gallons/ pounds/ warmth factor/ cool factor :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to report back on how my radiant heat panels are working. We have had nights down as low as 18 degrees and so far my shop is nice and warm. When I used my old propane heater I just used heat when I was out there. Now I find these works better if you leave them on a low setting all the time. Once they get everything warm,they don't have to work very hard. What I really like is you have no chimney or venting. I looked at ventless propane heaters but every body told me I would have problems with humidity. At only 800 watts ea. they are pretty economical and you don't have any you don't have the fire hazard of combustion heaters. 

• Like 1

Living in Northern MN it gets cold here, couldn't work in my garage if i wanted to.. No heat, No insulation but since i moved into the basement it is much better and warmer :D.  It stays around 50 in the winter, but i have a small electric heater down there and it keeps it warm enough to work without having 5 layers on....

I just installed new radiant heat panels from Solid State Heating. Sent them the dimensions of my shop and the insulation. They recommended two of the 2'x8' Wood Shop panels. I have them installed them according to the supplied diagrams. Now all I have to do is wait for fall and winter. Has any body else tried some thing like? If so how did it work?

Where did you purchase these?

• Like 1

Will you be applying stain and/or finish in the shop during the heating season?

I was a bit nervous about it at first but all of my finishing with a brush and hvlp behave the same as usual. I do have some cold spots in the shop due to no insulation but i usually set up to account for that. Blocking the widows with a rigid foam panel really helps the drafty-ness.

Because i have overhead garage doors, there are minor gaps that are hard to close off so the heat escapes. Makes me really dream of carriage doors. I am excited to freddies carriage door build :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you purchase these?

I purchased them online. I sent them an email. They sent back a form to fill out. They wanted the dimensions of my shop, type of insulation, that sort of thing. Filled it out and sent it back. They sent back their recommendations and pricing. I was a little apprehensive for a while, but pulled the trigger. Now I'm glad I did.

How much is the electrical bill for this?

Wanted to report back on how my radiant heat panels are working. We have had nights down as low as 18 degrees and so far my shop is nice and warm. When I used my old propane heater I just used heat when I was out there. Now I find these works better if you leave them on a low setting all the time. Once they get everything warm,they don't have to work very hard. What I really like is you have no chimney or venting. I looked at ventless propane heaters but every body told me I would have problems with humidity. At only 800 watts ea. they are pretty economical and you don't have any you don't have the fire hazard of combustion heaters. 

How much is the electrical bill for this?

Bobby,  and all.  Aside from slight efficiency gains with design, a watt is a watt is a watt.  Regular electric heating is simple resistance.  There is no great gain of one unit that has a 1500 watt rating over any other unit with the same wattage.  The only time you get more energy out for that watt is with the use of a refrigerant system (heatpump).  The most important thing is to air seal and insulate the envelope.  The larger the cumulative hole in your envelope the more expensive it is to heat or cool. 

• Like 2