Hello from Riverside, Ca, USA

Good morning everyone.

New here and to woodworking so I can't say what I like to make but I have been into metal for over 30 years and as you can tell from my name, I play with hot metal too.

I have been lurking for a while and when I saw a safety related topic earlier, where a member was injured on a bandsaw, I had to say something as I use one nearly daily for the whole time I have been working and I had to pass on a safety tip. I also posted it in the Jig and fixture section (I have been in tooling, specifically, jig and fixture since I started in Aerospace!) so that anyone in the future may use it as a starting point for their own work safety.

I have avoided getting into wood as I know how I am when I start something. Last fall, I need a small box to mount something in and nothing suitable could be found in the stores. OK, I have my uncles wood working tools from the '50s that I aquired when he passed so I guess I will make a box. I spent nearly a full day cleaning and servicing his old Craftsman 10" table saw then I realized that I did not have a rip fence. I then started looking at fences and discovered how expensive they were and it would be custom as the saw was so old. Next came Craigs list and a PM 66 was listed among all the contractor saws (I only learned the names of things AFTER I got into this) I did not know PM from a hole in the wall but a Google showed it to be "better quality" than a contractor saw so I took a look. It came from a counter top business who had moved and down sized and did not need it anymore. There was no 3 phase power to connect to so I could try it out so for $200 we loaded it onto my truck and I went home with my new prize. It had a new U.S made motor on it so I guessed I would not be hurt even if it was junk. Short story, it isn't junk and it runs very sweetly indeed. I need to replace the fence rail as the fence was often, too often over tightened and the fence rail is concave and no longer accurate but I moved it to the left a set of holes and realigned it and now it is acceptable though the span to the right is not as long as the side extension now.

I have since gone over to the "dark side" and with the help (or is that the curse) of Craigs list, I have many more tools. I have some nice 14" wide Black Walnut boards to make a unit for our bathroom from. Though my uncle had and I now have a jointer, plainer and a shaper, they are the 6" jointer and 12" plainer, versions.  So to surface the boards, though they were dimensional from the hardwood yard, came the planes. Yard sales and flea markets as well as my Rockler and Woodcraft stores have added and I now have a #3, #4 and a #8 Bailey as well as a Lei Nealson block plane to take care of the surfacing duties, yes there are scraping cards too.

I told you up front that I knew what would happen if I started wood working in additional to my other "hobbies".  :P:blink: :blink:

No, I still do not have the "small box" that I needed made yet though I do have a nice, all ALUM, screw advance, digital readout finger joint jig made (that I have not used for other than testing yet) to help me make the "small box" I have about 20 hours of machine time in making the jig. I knew I was going to be OCD here!

Anyway, that is me in a nut shell. Other things I have gone OCD on, cooking, flying, photography, stereo, HT, coffee and espresso, scuba diving, blacksmithing, metal working and some things I have forgotten about for now.

Welcome to the forum, Calblacksmith, and thanks for the safety tip. There's lots to learn here, and the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. You'll find that this forum is easy to go OCD on as well, because there are some really awesome folks here. Glad to have you join in.

welcome calblacksmith!  I used to live in riverside, how is it down there these days?  seems a world away from up here in Spokane.  Anyways welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find them an enjoyable place to visit.

Nyles

Thanks guys, I only have a second before I have to go.

Here is a detail pic of a wall mounted table I made a while ago,

Also, here is an outside shot of the shop when it was built about 10 years ago thanks to a fantastic wife. I will need to get more current pics. The shop is 30 feet wide, 75 feet long and 20 feet to the eves.

post-14128-0-00005300-1370381231_thumb.j

post-14128-0-48980100-1370381246_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum. I would love to see a video tour of your shop and this box joint jig you made :)

Thanks a lot Charles! Now I have to clean up the shop! It is kind of like when having company come over to visit, you need to clean up the mess you live in every day!! LOL!

Well, thanks to you, I am about 2/3 through the clean up process. I thank you, really, it is something I have been needing to do for a while now and have just kind of been looking the other way.

For woodworking, I moved my metal stock rack outside the shop and need to do something else now. I have all my wood stuff crammed into a space of 10 x 22 or about a single car garage but the assembly table/work bench is not counted in that as I use it for metalwork anyway. Thankfully, wood tools are light and easy to move around so they are mounted or are sitting on wheels and "folded" into a much smaller space than they would be if setup for production.

Well, they are light in relationship to my metal tools anyway, I have 3 items that are >=3,000# so they tend to stay in the same place all the time!

Nyles, I am actually in Lake Mathews, about 10 miles south of Riverside and pretty much centered between Corona and Riverside or almost exactly half way between Corona and Perris on a line drawn between them. We have been here over 20 years now and not much has changed over the time other than people moving in all around us.

Mr, Shafer, thank you! I wish I had more pics but I tend to not take them, WHY? I have no idea but that is the case.

Welcome to the forum. I would love to see a video tour of your shop and this box joint jig you made :)

Charles, you asked for it so I did it, It seemed like only a few minutes but when I looked at the video, it was 55 minutes! Don't worry, it is broken down into 14 minute videos on YouTube, under Wayne Parris

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRu2UCVR81kaiNVDzwjXWLw?feature=guide

The jig is on video 2 as is all the wood stuff but the other 3 videos are good too, just to look around the shop :D

• 2 weeks later...