Dewalt DC759

Ok so I have been a Dewalt fan for 15 years + and own quite a few of their tools and have been totally happy with every purchase. Some Items I own are 15 +years old and still do the job perfectly.  I recently (6 ish months ago) bought a Cordless Drill / Impact driver combo set as It was on sale around X-mas time. The Impact driver is awesome ( DC 825) HOWEVER for the first time have been let down by the drill,

(DC 759) . For some reason It will not Hold an implement in its chuck without dropping it after seconds of use. Now if you put a 1/8" drill bit and drill into pine it works , But anything more stressful than that it drops out whatever its been fitted with. I dont care how tight ya try to make it and usually have to put a glove on just to spin it tight enough to do anything. So I was wondering if you guys have had similar issues with this model or if mine is just off? Also as this is useless to me should I write to Dewalt , and or has anyone ever done that with any results?  Thanx for any info !!! LDWS

Dewalt_zps81c2bc9c.jpg

Dewalt1_zps10c11548.jpg

Dewalt2_zps50a18ac7.jpg

Yep thanx Adam, very frustrating, as having a "quick Chuck" is really handy but not so much when it will not function properly.  I have never written a displeasure note to any company, and am wondering if its a worthwhile investment in time and effort. Ill wait for others to offer their thoughts and experience with this.  My fear is if I do Ill get a few stickers and a T-shirt that is to small and a shoulder shrug  , that will really pi$$ me off... LDWS

It should be under warranty, so I'd start that way. If it's not for some reason, then I'd go through whatever means you have to contact Dewalt, whether via phone, web, FB, Twitter, etc. One of the benefits of the rise and power of social media is that companies have become pretty interested in making sure customers are happy.  Been my experience, at least.

Definitely pursue it with dewalt. If no one speaks up, they will continue to sell a faulty design. However, if they have to replace enough of them b/c people are displeased, they will likely rework the design of that faulty chuck. Or u could just buy a festool T or C drill and be done with it, haha :D

I tend to put LOTS of hours on a cordless drill, every week, and have worn out more than my share. I've used Panasonic, B & D, Skil, Dewalt, PC, Makita, Ridged, and Hitachi. Without exception, the first thing that starts failing on them is the keyless chuck. I think it's the nature of the beast. I really wish someone would make a cordless drill with a Jacobs chuck on it.

TR, the reason I questioned purchase location is because BORG style markets are often supplied with tools that have dramatic quality reductions due to a need to hit a price point. I have only seen that style chuck on a DeWalt made for this market. Much better chucks exist and when you find a good one, I'd strip it off the tool it was on before recycling the tool.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of the DCD780s and haven't had this issue.  My older Dewalts are corded 3/8 (I forget the numbers) and I haven't had any issues with those either.

All in all, I've been very happy with Dewalt for quite a few years.

I think dewalt was bought out by black and decker a few years ago. I haven't bought any dewalt tools in a while, but I would seriously consider their planer if I needed one.

Dewalt, at least here in Canada, was considered THE tool brand to own for many years. This has changed in the last few years, as dewalt has cheapened a lot of their tools. I think they still have a high end line, but they also have a more economical line that is sold at places like Cosco.

I think dewalt was bought out by black and decker a few years

Actually, when B&D decided to build a higher end tool line, they knew no one would buy them if they said B&D. But they owned the Dewalt name from a previous acquisition, having bought it from the company who bought it from Mr. DeWalt.

So they brought them out under the DeWalt name.

• 9 months later...

I picked up DeWalt's 735 planer last year! I clean up and re mill a lot of reclaimed barn wood, to use in my projects!  The blades that come with the planer must be purchased in bulk from HF. They last about 250 bf, then you flip them, for another 250 bf,  then hone both sides , but once or twice is all you can get!  They're called disposable, and should be!   Infinity tools sells a much better replacement, that can be honed more often.  They're thicker and better steel... They also sell a carbide blade that kicks butt!   i've run over 1000bf  with their HSS blades and they're still sharp as new!

I work very closely with DeWalt reps on a regular basis. If you have trouble getting the part replaced, let me know. I can have a rep or marketing manager contact you. Actually, I just retired about 30 18v drills at work and upgraded to 20v brushless. I probably have a chuck that fits your model and can send you one free if you still need it.