Hello from cheese head state

aerofly0610

Hello wood working community.  I was pointed to this forum so here I am.  I am a long time RC Airplane builder (Balsa) and I want to adventure into 'real' wood working. I know very little about working with large stuff or wood other than balsa.

My first wood working project is building up a work shop in our new place.  I am using a modified version of this to build 4 work benches.  After that I would like to build a pair of night stands since we desperately need some.  I have no clue where to start on those.  After that I was thinking a microwave hutch, but again no idea how to do that.

I am all for doing small projects first to get some basic skills down, but don't know where to go with that.  Any help would be appreciated!  Otherwise nice to meet everyone on here!

Jonathan

Hey Jonathon. Welcome to the forum. If you are looking for some basic skills development, I would suggest you check out the Guild at The Wood Whisperer site. Marc has some great projects that he does instructional videos on, from start to finish. He also does a lot of pod casts about tools, set-ups, sharpening, finishing, etc. They are great and easy to understand. Then there's this forum which he started and there are a lot of terrific folks here that are always ready to answer any questions you may have. If you want to check out The Wood Whisperer, just scroll to the top of the page and there is a link on the far left of the second line.

Welcome fellow Wisconsinite!

There are lots of great folks here to help with any questions you may have.  Troys, right, the TheWoodWhisperer.com is a great place to start.  Marc's Youtube channel is full of good information too.  

What part of the state do you reside?

Welcome Cheesehead.  +2 to Troy...watch all of the videos on the Wood Whisperer free site...that'll give you a good foundation of basic skills and safety guidelines, an idea of what kind of tools you'll probably want to start with, and a number of projects you can build.  After that, if you wanna take it to the next level, join the Guild.  And ask lots of questions here.  Enjoy your new affliction.  :)

Cool thanks on the welcome and response

@Chris H the frozen tundra is just down the street from us (Hint home of the GB Packers)

Welcome Aero!  I graduated from Norberts and worked the home games at Lambeau for x-tra $$ when I was in school :P.  Good to see you here; there are a lot of great people to learn from on this forum so don't be shy about asking questions!