Storing Waterstones?

Stephen Prunier

I keep my waterstones submerged if I'm going to use them in the afternoon or the next morning.  Some stones you can keep permanently submerged -- you just add a few ml of bleach.  However, many stones you can not...  Not sure about Norton...  You may want to check with them...

Hi Stephen,

I've been soaking my waterstones in water 24/7 for about 5 years now and have never had a problem with that.  I have them in a rubbermaid container with a good sealing lid on it.  I used distilled water and change it every couple of months to keep things fresh.  S.

My stones, as well as everyone else's in the workshop are soaking 24/7. We use tap water in a big open tray.

Unfortunately, we *always* forget to change the water, so we get algae after a week or two, but a quick changeover and this is no problem.

Personally, I love being able to grab them... And if you're more diligent than us about changing your water then you're set to go!

Bleach is probably a good idea though

Fraser