The Holdfast and the Batten

jhl.verona

Every now and again a simple, efficient, and clever solution to everyday woodworking problems sweeps across the Internet. Here's one that takes 10 minutes of your time, a piece of scrap and a holdfast - but a clamp will do too.

A five minute video for those who use hand planes, but don't necessarily have a tail vise - or any sort of vise for that matter. Tried and tested - works as advertised!

John

• Like 2

That is outstanding! Thanks for sharing it and your own methods for holding the board.

I'm currently trying to make do with a non-woodworking workbench without holdfast holes and the only area I can clamp into is the front edge. This will help me come up with a way to hold my work till that new bench is finished.

Really is a great tip.  I struggled for quite a while trying to hold things to my bench different ways.  I did finally get a tail vise, which in my opinion was the greatest single addition to my bench. But having seen this beforehand I would have tried this method without a doubt.

Thanks for that video. One thing that stopped me from building a bench is the cost of the accessories. This practical approach is encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

Every now and again a simple, efficient, and clever solution to everyday woodworking problems sweeps across the Internet. Here's one that takes 10 minutes of your time, a piece of scrap and a holdfast - but a clamp will do too.

A five minute video for those who use hand planes, but don't necessarily have a tail vise - or any sort of vise for that matter. Tried and tested - works as advertised!

John

John, I caught up with this video and it's great! Richard seems a decent guy too. I posted a few questions about holdfasts on British workbenches and he was really quick and helpful with his response. I was so taken with the idea that I think I will omit the tail vice from my build and see how I go. I will be checking in on his site regularly.

One disadvantage I can see, of an otherwise great solution!

How do you hold something that isn't square, or a uniform shape?

When I carve the front of an instrument I put the two ends between the bench dogs so that the force runs down the centre line of the work... I think this would be much harder with the above method...

Obviously not everyone needs to carve a front, but I am sure that there are other points when this might be a problem...

Fraser

I completely agree that it's not a good holding tool for carving. It's fine for planing though, possibly with non rectangular boards too.

It works because as you plane some of the force is sideways, the work piece is pushed into the notch which causes the 'V' notched board to increase its grip. I found it better to put the dog close to the opposite corner, and not in the middle, otherwise the board slipped away when I planed the right hand side. I'm left handed, the 'V' notch board was to my left.

The board I was planing was not completely rectangular either. More of a trapezoid since I'm trying to use all of the board for a little (oddly shaped) stool.

I don't have a tail vice, so this is a really useful jig to me. Before I used a batten clamped sideways. I had to use two clamps one each side,so  this is much more practical. Thank you Richard Maguire!

John

This is pretty eye-opening.  I want to go try it.

Examples like this always seem to involve planing a small board and at least half the time, I an trying to plane something much longer or something on edge that is awkward to hold.

I need to study more examples like this to learn all the old ways of holding things.