Not a new member. Just a changed man.

SteveThing

Hello all,

I am currently Active Duty US Air Force.  I will be officially retired at the end of next month.  I've only served my country for a little over 6 years.  I am being medically retired due to a shoulder injury that has changed my life forever.  Actually, I think the last time I posted anything on these forums was just before that injury.  Long story short, I am unable to use my left arm for anything heavier than 10-20lbs (4.5-9 Kilos for you metric folks out there) without causing major pain or loss of muscle control.  I didn't get hurt doing anything spectacular or heroic.  It just happened.

That being said,  I've obviously not been able to do any woodworking at all in the past 2+ years.  I was not good at it then, and I'm definately not any good at it now.  That doesn't bother me so much.  What bothers me is that I miss building things with my hands.  I started wood working about 3-4 years ago.  I made a coffee table (which I still use to this day) out of cheap "pine" 2x4's from Lowe's, a jewelery box (which my wife absolutes refuses to get rid of), and a oversized dining room table (which I donated to a soldier in need).  Not much under my belt for experience.

I really just wanted to pop on and say I'll be back into woodworking real soon in a totally new climate.  I'm moving from middle-of-nowhere Texas to just outside of Seattle.  I'm so excited!  Change of scenery, climate, and choice of lumber.

If anyone out there has any unused or unneeded tools in/near the Seattle area (to include the military bases), please shoot me a private message.  I have nothing but some Harbor Freight chisels and a flush-cut saw.  I'm not a rich man, but I will give what I can.  I can also offer advice and expertise in regards to anything computers/networking.

Thank you all,

Steve

P.S.  It's been an honor to serve my country, even if it was only for a short amount of time.  For all those who have served or are currently serving, my heart goes out to you.  Fly, Fight, Win!

Hello and welcome back! Thank You for Serving!

I see on Your Profile that You do Turning, Turning is about 75% of My woodworking (in fact just taking a break at 1am) fun and fast things can be made turning.

Have fun in Seattle, I always do (My friends band is based there)

Steve,

That was a touching message.  I love your wife for loving something you made for her.  Do you have any pictures of her jewelry box you would like to share?  I'm looking for an idea for a jewelry box to make myself.

In your profile you list lyptus as one of your interests.  I have used that wood to make some cutting boards and a bread board and am really happy with the results.  Very pretty wood.  What supplier do you use?  I have found it only at Rockler and then only in 25/32" flat stock.

With your injury I hope you are still able to do turning.  I have recently become brave and tried turning left handed (I am right handed) for situations where it makes sense.  It is WAY easier to do that than I had imagined and it is becoming second nature to switch hands after only a short time of trying that.  Possibly that could help you.

Look forward to reading more posts from you!

Cindy

Cindy,

I uploaded it to my gallery.  Let me know if the link doesn't work.

I used Lyptus from my base's wood shop supply.  Not sure where they got it from.

Lovely, Steve!  Nice attention to detail, matching box joints top and bottom, continuous wood from the base to the top.  I don't know why you said you weren't good at woodworking as this shows that to not be true!  You have the eye and you have the passion. I hope you love your move to Seattle.  From what I can tell it is a woodworker's paradise.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Mike and Cindy.

It was a very simple project.  I took 3/4" stock and sent it through a band saw a couple times.  Ended up with a final thickness of 1/4".  I built the box and then cut the box open.  I decided to "match-book" the sides so the grain pattern was uniform.  I had the hardest time with the joinery on that piece.  Did most of the cuts with a hand saw and chisels.  I was going for minimal machine intervention.  What took a whole weekend could have been done in about an hour with machines.  It was totally worth it though.

I wish I still had pictures of the dining room table I made.  I did all four legs on a lathe.  Each one was similar, but had unique bit about them.  The top was 2-1/2" thick, so I just cut some square holes in it and epoxied the legs to it.  No skirt.  I guess cedar (the legs) and oak ply bond very well.  I attempted to do lyptus inlay in that table, but I didn't like it.  The new owners loved it.  C'Est la Vie.