Cabinet box helper

dwacker

• 1 month later...

Hey Don I'm in the middle of building some upper cabinets for my house I just looked at this post and immediately built some of those squaring blocks, already had the dado set up on the saw. I just love simple elegant solutions these squaring bocks will work on the shelves also thanks for the post.

I had some scraps of two thicknesses of 3/4" ply glued together I made some blocks out of that so I have a full 3/4" dado the blocks setting on the floor act as a stand to hold the part of my cabinets while I get the clamps ready, I also rubbed the blocks with paste wax to keep the cabinet from sticking to the squaring blocks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It is a piece of plywood with perpendicular dados that are the exact thickness of the cabinet walls. The right angle dados capture your cabinet walls and hold them in alignment for glue or fasteners. If I can't find a pic to work, I'll post a Sketchup model image if you need the visual. Could not be a simpler jig.

post-9382-0-78305600-1398459511_thumb.jp

It is seriously easy, I do not have a dado blade set up or it would have been faster to make one than this entry into Sketchup.  Two dados intersect at right angles.  You make several of them and each cabinet intersection can have one of these blocks installed to hold the joint in place. The better the fit the better the aid. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...