Revisiting PM1500 Bandsaw

Boatworks Today

I know there have been some threads on this saw in the past, but now it's time for me to really start looking for a replacement and I would like to hear any feedback (good and bad) that some of the current owners could provide on their purchase. 

My current bandsaw which was grossly undersized for my use and needs finally crapped out on me.  Yes I probably could spend some money on having it serviced and yes it probably can be fixed for a few hundred bucks (which I will do down the road) but the bigger issue for me is having down time during the time of the year that I really need it..

The PM1500 is definitely at the top end of my budget, but I do appreciate their quality and in the long run reliability is worth more to me than trying to save a few hundred bucks..  It's that old saying, "I'd rather swear once when writing the check than everytime I have to use the tool." <_<

So, my question to any of the current owners..  Would you buy it again after having used it for a while?  I'm aware of the short cord issue on a few of the units, but overall are you happy with it?  If not, what other unit were you considering?

Thanks ahead of time!

I bought a PM1500 back in May, so I haven't had a lot of time with it yet.  I bought it really for resawing, but I have only tested it with the "small" blade that came with the saw.  Even with that blade, the saw it did a really good job.  I have some new blades I still need to test, but I only expect the cut quality to be even better.  The saw is amazingly quite and smooth running.  I don't know why but most Bandsaws makers really cheap out on their fence, but Powermatic doesn't.  I really like Powermatic's fence, it's solid without weighing a ton.  The fence is also easy to adjust.  It's Powermatic, so the saw is big and heavy, and the fit and finish are the best.  No regrets buying this saw, and I will put Powermatic at the top of my list, for any other tool I might replace.

I looked at Laguna and Mini Max, both make nice saws.  I looked at Laguan's SUV, because of the price and features.  Then I used the saw in a class I took, and found out I really don't like the low table on the saw.  I felt I was having to bend over when using the saw and I'm 5' 11'.  If you are taller, try the saw out first if you can.  There is about a 4.5" difference in table height, between the SUV and PM1500.  I think it's how Laguna squeezed in the extra resaw captivity without making the saw bigger.  It might not bother some people but I didn't like it.  Mini Max might have been #2 on my list, but I had a hard time convincing myself to spend that much money, and not being able to see the saw in person before buying.

==> is it really that much better in price compared to the 14 suv

there is really no comparison between the typical delta/jet/pm/etc 14" and the PM1500 -- they are apples and oranges...  The PM1500 is really just a scaled down PM1800...

I've only used the 14 suv once -- I'm not convinced you can really resaw 14" exotics on that saw.  If resawing is your intended use, I think the PM is the better purchase.

==> Would you buy it again after having used it for a while? 

yes, but the caveats from my previous thread still stand...  

Summary: The build quality is way above the typical 14".  The frame & drive train are robust and should last for decades.  The fence is good.

I've done a decent amount of resawing in the J 1400-2800 range up to 11" with both the Lenox and Laguna blades -- no problem.

Since the PM is at the upper end of your budget, I think it's a pretty good long-term purchase.  To get higher in build quality, you'd have to go Euro and the spend would increase rather dramatically.

Well, bit the bullet and ordered the pm1500 today; should be here Fri :unsure: ..  Ordered through our local ACME tool crib and was able to get the saw and delivery to the shop for less than anything I could find online (even CPO!) 

Now just need to move some tools around and wire a new 220 outlet..

For those that already have one, what size blade comes with the saw?  Haven't been able to find that info.  The PM Rep thought it was 3/4" but that's a little big for a 'general use'..  Wondering if I need to get a smaller one?

Thanks!

==> what size blade comes with the saw?

Seem to remember it's a 3/4".  I keep it around for 'junk' work.

When I ordered the saw, I purchased a set of timberwolf bi-metal blades:

Timber Wolf 3/4" x 6PC

Timber Wolf 1/4" x 14RK

Timber Wolf 1/2" x 10RK

Timber Wolf 1/4" x 10RK

all in 153"

and a Leguna resaw king.

Andy,

I'm really interested in hearing more of your thoughts in this saw. Would u consider doing a video review? I love ur vids just wish there were more of em

Thanks Nick :), I'm sure that I will.  That was something that kind of frustrated me was that there isn't a whole lot of 'owner' supplied vids on the saw.  The only one I found that was useful was this one, the rest are all promo vids..  It's always nice to hear from owners as I think it's a lot more honest! 

Thanks everyone that chimed in and helped with my decision!  It's much appreciated :D

Great video! What do you love most about that band saw? And what features of the saw that you are not impressed with?

I haven't gotten it yet; hoping that it will be here tomorrow (Fri)!  The video posted above is one that I found on youtube that was helpful in making my decision..  Once I have a little time with it I'll update this post on the good / bad and the ugly :o !! 

I haven't gotten it yet; hoping that it will be here tomorrow (Fri)!  The video posted above is one that I found on youtube that was helpful in making my decision..  Once I have a little time with it I'll update this post on the good / bad and the ugly :o !! 

I'm looking forward to hear your own review about the saw. 

I haven't gotten it yet; hoping that it will be here tomorrow (Fri)! The video posted above is one that I found on youtube that was helpful in making my decision.. Once I have a little time with it I'll update this post on the good / bad and the ugly :o !!

Well????? Did it arrive???? This can only be confirmed with a pic!

:wub: Everything came as hoped..  On time, no damage and with the exception of a missing allen wrench (which I luckily had) no missing parts!

Got the setup done yesterday and am going to run it through it's paces this afternoon. 

This thing is a BEAST!  I will definitely be doing a review after I've had some time on it; the next week will show what it's made of  :P 

post-6031-0-28273800-1374341408_thumb.jp

==> This thing is a BEAST!

+1

Yea, it's funny -- I've seen numerous posts from folks commenting about PM's inflated pricing when comparing the high-price of 'just a 15" saw' as compared to a typical 14" saw...  Obviously, those folks haven't actually tried to move it...  Yea, it's only 1" larger, but it's a heck of an inch -- and 200lbs...

You should see the 18"...

• 2 years later...

==> what size blade comes with the saw?

Seem to remember it's a 3/4".  I keep it around for 'junk' work.

When I ordered the saw, I purchased a set of timberwolf bi-metal blades:

Timber Wolf 3/4" x 6PC

Timber Wolf 1/4" x 14RK

Timber Wolf 1/2" x 10RK

Timber Wolf 1/4" x 10RK

all in 153"

and a Leguna resaw king.

Yup I'm gonna be the annoying guy who dredges up a 2 year old thread.  Shoot me :)

Trip - what size resaw king did you go with?  I just did a black friday purchase of a PM1500 and I'm trying to decide between the 3/4" and 1" resaw king.  What did you go with, and have you been happy with the performance?

3/4".

No, I would not recommend a resaw king on that saw. Save $200 and get a couple of 1/2" wood slicers... I purchased the RK based on it's performance on my 24" saw... It was poor judgement on my part to extrapolate performance across saw platforms. The 24" is just a different animal...

Edited by hhh
  • Like 1