Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

Rock to meet code is fine, but for functionality in a shop, nothing beats a wooden wall, attach anything anywhere. Fire tape the rock (your in the trade so you know what i mean ;-)  Drywall takes some serious abuse in a shop, another reason to consider putting up plywood over it. I have a few dents where kickback has sent a piece or two flying....

Chop, I prefer wood to studs with drywall over where required. Better flash protection and a substantial increase in structural strength with the wood product secured directly to the studs. I came away with this working with a contractor who sheathed all bathrooms with OSB under wallboard so that any fixture could be mounted anywhere. This saved quite a few headaches over time.

• Like 2

Chop, I prefer wood to studs with drywall over where required. Better flash protection and a substantial increase in structural strength with the wood product secured directly to the studs. I came away with this working with a contractor who sheathed all bathrooms with OSB under wallboard so that any fixture could be mounted anywhere. This saved quite a few headaches over time.

Yes, this is far better as you can const. adhesive and nail off the sheets then rock over - far superior, but you have to be careful on walls that will have doors since you will have to get custom jambs made or site make them. The contractor was smart since he wouldn't have to worry about drywall repair being on his punch list in the baths! If I know what fixtures are going where I block out  with 2x or ply, whatever is handy.

Great suggestion for the OP if he can bear the extra cost. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't gotten anything done in my shop, but I did pick up two bundles of some 6" knotty pine v groove planking that I want to put in my hand tool area. I mocked it up on the wall to get a feel for the vibe, and I absolutely love it! I am not 100% as to where the bench is going to go yet, but the wood planks will definitely be around that area at minimum. It is a bit costly at 38 dollars a bundle, but I wouldn't mind doing the whole shop. Probably won't be able to swing that. I have to say, I love the organic feel it brings to the woodworking space. It makes me feel inspired.

post-3732-0-74154400-1381971418_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-30449900-1381971423_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-94536900-1381971427_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-78907600-1381971435_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-56298400-1381971440_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-48041000-1381971444_thumb.jp

I do not like them vertical Tiods, I love love love them horizontally! I feel like it really warms up the space and makes it more woodsy :) This makes me want to get this done even faster so I can be working in my new creative space.

It's your space bro, go with your gut!  Still can't wait to see it!

They look great Freddie. Throw some amber shellac on them to warm them up a bit more and to seal them to make it easy to dust (no laughing, the shop will still get dusty and you will want to keep it cleaner when it looks nice, right?)

As for the expense, well... it ain't getting cheaper! Use it sparingly in places where you might want to hang stuff would be my suggestion.

Have you thought about how you will wrap that corner? I wouldn't bother mitering them, too much work and miters are fussy. I would rip one piece and make a outside corner molding :)

I did a few finish samples on the back side of one of the wall planks tonight after work. I tried amber shellac, as recommended by someone here on the forum. I am not a fan of it, I want to keep the planks as light and natural as possible. I like the dewaxed shellac the best, because it is natural looking, but adds a richness and depth that the water based finish does no offer. I think the process will be a coat or 2 of the shellac to seal and make it easier to clean in the future. Since I don't want my good tools getting damaged , I oiled and boxed everything up. I brought my chisels home tn and put some oil on them.

post-3732-0-41771100-1382055689_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-36496700-1382055694_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-65232700-1382055698_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-66710900-1382055704_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-12222800-1382055711_thumb.jp

When I lived on my hobby farm I built a tack room in the old barn.  This is the wall facing into the barn.  I scratch built the window because I wanted something up high to let light in but also made it difficult to look in and see the tack.  The posts are original to the barn and I fit my construction in between.  Beveled the ends of the carsiding to make it fit over the posts.

post-8974-0-36349700-1382207945_thumb.jp

I just got home from jury duty, so I decided to shoot a quick video in my kitchen. I highlight the update from taking my tools out of the hostile garage environment into the dry house. The wooden handles contracted noticeably, levaing them loose on all the planes. Surprisingly the chisel sockets and handles are all still tight. Stay tuned as I go to purchase framing lumber in the next week or so.

• Like 1