Add a DRO to a table saw.

calblacksmith

Hi all, in the thread P.B. asked about the DRO for the table saw, I learned about this tool for the first time. It seems like a good addition for me so I bought one at Roclker when I was there on Friday.

I installed it over the weekend and it was an easy job. I have an older PM66 and though I had to replace the scale and make a new alignment window for the rip fence, my eyes are not as young as they used to be so when I learned about the DRO, I had to have it.

First, after it was installed, I was a little let down by the X.XX readout, I am used to three dec. points. The specs for the readout gives it a 0.002 accuracy per foot. I have 48 inches to the right of my blade so the error could be up to 0.008 and be within spec. To this, as the readout will only show nothing or X.XX5, that means you could be up to 0.013" off at 4 feet. I guess that isn't too bad, that works out to about the thickness of 3 sheets of paper and the readout will be "dead on" for indication. Still, it is a lot better than I can get by reading the tape and indicator glass.

The kit is easy to install and as the DRO head is attached to the fence by a rare earth magnet, you can easily remove the fence from the saw without doing anything to the DRO. The DRO also remembers where it is, even when off, this is a nice feature. It also does incremental or absolute measurements so you can easily move the fence to get many thin strips, all the same size. After zeroing the DRO, I did a test cut, the cut was within 0.003 to a digital caliper. Not too bad!

While I have not had extensive use of the DRO, I feel it was a good investment with reasonable accuracy for the price!

post-14128-0-12637000-1374508499_thumb.j

post-14128-0-83521700-1374508514_thumb.j

post-14128-0-45342900-1374508530_thumb.j

post-14128-0-61167100-1374508592_thumb.j

post-14128-0-56422900-1374508638_thumb.j

post-14128-0-59454400-1374508704_thumb.j

• 5 weeks later...

I am seriously thinking about getting one of these nows. I will say the manufacture could do a bit more in explaining the fraction. After looking, finially found a picture showing 32nd's of a inch, which is what I want. They really need to advertise that. I almost walked away, seeing 1/2" does not quite cut it :-)

Mine lasted two days. They are to flimsy for a busy shop. Im going to chop it down and use it for something else maybe the router table. Back to the bright yellow ruler. :)

I'm actually surprised by that (somewhat disappointed) but mostly surprised..  I've always had good luck with Wixey...  What happened with yours?

==> I'm actually surprised by that (somewhat disappointed) but mostly surprised..

In looking at the thing, I can believe it wouldn't last... at least in my shop...  One 'oooops'' I periodically make occurs when I single-hand a sheet of 3/4 4x8 onto the saw.  I sometimes don't get it seated properly and it slips off the top, scrapes the rail and and gets hung-up of one of the wheels.  If there was a DRO involved, it would be toast.

I'm actually surprised by that (somewhat disappointed) but mostly surprised..  I've always had good luck with Wixey...  What happened with yours?

I did  what hhh described. Bumped it with a sheet of plywood. The rail is now mostly toast but the far end is still usable for something short like a router. Live and learn I guess.

==> I did  what hhh described.

figured...  many things in my shop have a few bumps, scrapes, etc....  I just think of them as either patina or war wounds, depending on circumstance...

You know, that's one of the things that I look at when considering new purchases...  What happens when (not if, but when) it gets 'bumped'.  I'm not sure when more 'bumps' occur -- while I'm single-handing or when a shop-helper is involved...  Clearly, I've done my damage single-handing long/heavy stock -- no question (especially sheet goods).  But I think all the more serious bangs, spills, etc have a 'helper' involved.