Spiral bit for dovetail jig

otis

I'm looking to get some new bits for my dovetail jig and was thinking of replacing my straight bit with a down cut spiral bit. I'm thinking it would give me a cleaner cut with less chance of tear out. Has anyone tried that? Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

• 6 months later...

Is down cut the better option for spiral bit use in a dovetail jig?  How about 1 of the compression bits?  I've had my PC 4216 for a week and just tried my up-cut spiral bit today to cut box joints.  The tear out was insane.  The box I was working on was supposed to be a gift but now will be an under-workbench storage bin.  Its ugly but it will hold stuff.

I don't think your going to see much of a difference between up or down spiral in your application, if anything I would think down spiral would be worse for chip load. To limit tear out with that jig you can climb cut by taking small bites to the right and in a circular motion pull back out on the left. Small bites are key to having control over the bit and also allows for your bit to clear chips and not load up. As mentioned, better bits that match the diameter of the porter-cable  bits may also give better results but I use PC bits all the time with my Omni-Jig and don't have problems. 

I don't think your going to see much of a difference between up or down spiral in your application, if anything I would think down spiral would be worse for chip load. To limit tear out with that jig you can climb cut by taking small bites to the right and in a circular motion pull back out on the left. Small bites are key to having control over the bit and also allows for your bit to clear chips and not load up. As mentioned, better bits that match the diameter of the porter-cable  bits may also give better results but I use PC bits all the time with my Omni-Jig and don't have problems. 

I haven't had much issue with tear out when I cut dovetails with the PC bits.  I was shocked at how awful the tearout was when I cut the box joints with the spiral bit.  Not sure if it really matters much, but I was cutting in 1/2" Baltic Birch ply.  FWIW, on another box I build, using the same material, I had a bit tearout issues when I was using a round over bit to soften the top edges unless I made a climb cut on my router table.  Running the edge in the normal feed direction just made the edge tear apart.

I bought a used Leigh jig, and the straight bit with it was shot. I had a Whiteside 1/4 inch spiral bit that works fine. I don' t remember if it was up or down, but it cut perfectly. Since I had only one of the Leigh bushings, I used one I already had of regular PC bushings.

I ended up leaving both routers set up ready to go on 3/4 stuff. I can pull the jig and routers out of their toolboxes, and cut through dovetails in a few minutes.

I also left one of the backer boards in the jig. if you only take one board out at the time under any circumstances, it makes it much easier to set the next board perfectly-that goes for any jig that uses two boards, whether one is a backer, or both are to be cut at the same time.

I can't remember, but isn't the inside face of the dovetail joint facing out in the D4R? If so, the backer behind it leaves the show sides crisp. The blowout or chipout on the face facing you will be hidden inside the joint. A backer in front of that would help if you want it perfectly clean. Another option is to push in on the right side of the jig's opening, swing around, then stop short of coming all the way through. Then go back in from the right side (a climb cut).  If you don't leave a lot there to cut, the climb cut is easy (but don't do it if you aren't comfortable with it).

Whatever brand you chose, ensure it has a shearing motion- and it cuts upwards, you need that motion to remove waste material.  By removing waste material as you cut, the knives will not generate extra heat by cutting through waste, thus keeping them sharp longer, and increasing your quality by minimizing machine burn.

2600_300.jpg

That is solid carbide for a production environment ($200+-), however I'm sure there are companies that make a router bit with 3 knives -which would yield an increase in quality for a reasonable price ($50) or something.