British Joiners Bench

G S Haydon

Hello TIODS & C

Because I was not using cramps to secure my wood, when I created the knife wall I was chiseling towards my clamping hand. Although I kept my hand well back, no closer than 8" or so, and the chiseling was a light rocking motion it was, by the book bad practice. I'm used to using body pressure when on trestles and very rarely use clamps, and I can also judge based on experience when I feel at risk.

However I do respect the point I must not promote/share bad habits. 

Here's the link to the source of the issue on other forum (UK based) I posted this on. Just go to the bottom of the page. The dangerous, reckless and foolhardy was from a direct message on the inherent risks I showed within the video.

Thank you gents. I will put it back up again when I have a moment (or a slightly modified version), hopefully later today. I guess it was a first time someone went to town on something I showed, (no doubt the first of many) it caught me a bit of guard. Byrdie, I'm delighted you think I have some demonstrable skills  :D and I hope you can still watch the rough and ready vids I'm doing.

• Like 1

Here it is in all it's dangerous glory! Disclaimer. Do not cut towards your off hand! (like you didn't know already). I push the limit here, I don't recommend you do the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXardYuA43A&feature=youtu.be

Terry, thanks. I have disabled comments. Not everyone out there is as balanced as the woodtalk community.

• Like 1

Loving this journal so far...good job, Graham.

Oh fer cryin' out loud!!!  If you don't put that video back up I'm never watching another of yours again.

A tool is no more dangerous than the hands of the person using it.  You clearly demonstrate the skill to use it properly.  The fool that felt it necessary to criticize your technique clearly needs to get a life and then focus on living that.

Exactly.  Tools don't mangle fingers, people do.  ;)

Thanks again for the kind words everyone.Took a bit of time out of my lunch hour and glued up the legs 

http://youtu.be/ZRWxfeIc1po?t

English-Bench-Legs.jpg?resize=441%2C588

I don't normally have to clean the edges up with a plane but as I'm using rough and ready wood with machine marks I just tidied up the mating faces a little. 

Though I would share the film studio with you........

post-11619-0-52397400-1375833645_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while but I'm in the throws of morticing the leg frames. Although I have access to two HCM's, 5 or more routers, a pillar drill etc I went the hand tool route. The leg frames have 1 x big through mortice and tenon and a haunched mortice and tenon at the top. All will become clearer when it's up together. 

By the book I should of reduced the width of the tenon a bit but quite honestly, IME I knew it would be fine. 

I was going to give two variations of cutting a mortice a go. Bevel edge chisel (the heavy duty general purpose type, blue chip and the like) and a mortice chisel.

I allowed myself some indulgence and bought a good value 1/2" Narex mortice chisel from UK based workshop heaven and a Joseph Marples Mortice Gauge from the bay (but new).

I've done round one with the bevel edge.

http://youtu.be/3Psq7EmDuAA?t

I have not really taken a classic approach to morticing, just what seemed to work, and go easy, the last time I hand cut a mortice was when I was 16 during the first year of my apprenticeship!

Round 2 to come.

Graham the guy that made the comment on that being dangerous has probably never worked a day in the field in his life. I don't know how many times I am told that the way I use a skillsaw is dangerous, reckless, and foolhardy. If you don't respect the tool thats when you get bit :) Thanks for the videos :) keep up the good work. And if you are ever able to make it out this way and want to see our giant tress let me know. I live in humboldt county where the trees grow large :)

• Like 1

Thanks Mel!

Round 2. 

Well I am no expert with the hand morticing so who knows if I maximised the Narex or not. One thing is for sure it made me greedy. With a bevel edge I knew I could not be direct so I took a lighter bite, not so with the mortice chisel, I got maybe a bit to direct? 

http://youtu.be/bTKW65zcZII

I did have one issue with the Narex (and only one, it is a superb mortice chisel) the first edge crumbled and chipped. I contacted Matthew at Workshop Heaven and he explained that because of the unique way the Narex is quenched the tip can be a bit weak. After the second sharpen there was no issue. 

Which do I prefer. A tough call, all I can really say is that although I'm delighted with the value and quality of the Narex I don't feel its essential. 

Hand-Cut-Mortice.jpg?resize=481%2C603

• Like 1

OK, another post in quick succession. Cutting the tenons for the leg frames. To be fair most of my vids have been s#=t so far and this one is no exception. That said it is better than the rest. Number one you get to see my face (lucky you), secondly I look less of a d@>k than usual and my joint fit's off the saw (apart from the slightest tickle with a chisel, so not off the saw then.....). On balance I think I do prefer cutting to splitting tenons, I find them more consistent (or not)

http://youtu.be/EtY7W6EoF5g

• Like 1