Walnut swivel office chair

timmahoney34

This is the walnut swivel office chair I made to match my writing desk. The base is wood also. The base center is steel which the legs are dovetailed into. I added a small marquetry rose to a center brace for some personal emblishment. I'm adding more marquetry to my furniture as I like working with all the nice exotic veneers. Some of the pics are too large so check out my website for more. mahoneywoodworks

post-1-047416500 1286499968_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Love the smooth curves on that, Tim! Very nice job. The shaping must have been a chore, but everything looks so consistent. Nice marquetry, too. I'll have to hit your site to see if you have a pic of this chair with the desk together!

The chair is on my website with a closeup of the marquetry. I don't have the chair and desk together but they are in the same gallery.

Awesome work...is the finish on the chair "Tried & True" :)

-Ace-

The finish on this chair is Maloof's oil/varnish from Rockler. I ran out of Tried & True. I'll order more so I have it on hand. I like both finishes. Tried & True has the wax mix so I tend to use it more on furniture where I'm not worried about water marks. I know Rockler sells that also. Today I'm using a marine varnish on a cabinet/table for a sale boat, wish I could use the oil finish but not on a boat.

This is the walnut swivel office chair I made to match my writing desk. The base is wood also. The base center is steel which the legs are dovetailed into. I added a small marquetry rose to a center brace for some personal emblishment. I'm adding more marquetry to my furniture as I like working with all the nice exotic veneers. Some of the pics are too large so check out my website for more. mahoneywoodworks

That chair is a work art. I'm not sure I would let anyone sit in it. It's amazing!

SQ

The wheels are from an "old" chair. I may update them at some point. I would like a design were you don't see the wheels but the legs would get too bulky looking. Real old wheels don't work as well as the newer ones. The ones on the chair are real smooth when sitting in the chair and that's what was important to me. Most people don't look at the lower section as the eye is drawn to the seat joinery and curves of the arms. Only us woodworkers look at all the other stuff.

Well it really is a gorgeous piece of work. Between the rocking chair and swivel chair, I see you've played a little with the curved joint under the tip of the arm rest. Personally I like the thinner version in the rocking chair because it seems (to me) to blend better with the other curved joints of the back rest. Your opinion?

Smoother: DSC_3179.preview.JPG more 'bulky': 0984%20Swivel%20Chair.preview.jpg