Auger Boring Jig

modela

In working on an 86' trestle bridge we ran across a lot of boring through timbers and multiple stacked beams, some 5 deep 4x material. 

I developed jigs basically using standard  3/4" and 1" steel pipe nipples.  Using pvc pipe and fittings, I fitted both ends with smaller diameters for boring 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" holes.  I took cheap pvc fittings from Home Depot and bored them and turned the outside diameter to fit.  Then I drove one in each end.

To attach to my jigs I either used pipe flanges or welded them in a custom jig.  Attached are pictures of two of those jigs in use.007_zps7d0ab279.jpg

The one shown above was made with a 3x3 angle, welding the pipes in place.  Notice the white ends showing.  With brackets installed on both sides, this was accurate enough to require no redrilling on the other side.

f24c0bda-11a6-47aa-8ec0-0a2f071455a1_zps

This jig had four holes drilling through a total of 5 4x12 beams, roughly 17 1/2" thick.  Using pipe flanges, I installed the PVC ends, mounted them in the flanges, and bolted them to the plywood jig.  

With over 300 holes to drill the time with the jig was well spent in reduced time and added accuracy. 

• 5 weeks later...