Visio for 2D drawings

PeteJr

Is anyone else using Microsoft Visio for project drawings.  Because I've used Visio at work since the 90's I started using it for my latest woodworking project.  I've also used Sketchup recently but my long term familiarity with Visio seems to have made me think and dream in 2D.  Perhaps I'm the only one in the Forum but maybe not!  BTW, I'm currently using Visio 2007 Pro.  I wanted to upload my latest project which is part of a kitchen remodel involving moving/resizing cabinets, doors and drawers and building a new face frame over an existing lazy susan however when I attempted to attach a Visio flies there was an error, "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".  Maybe I just answered my question!

Pete

Even if you cannot export to JPEG, you can take a screen print, paste in "Paint" and save as a JPEG.

That said, I use Visio a lot for my "real job" too.  

I have to say, SketchUp is actually easier IMHO.  It took me a few projects to get the hang of some of the nuances, but once you have them, it is super quick and has tons of added benefits (Cutlist, being my favorite).  Regardless if its a personal project or for a client, having a ballpark BF requirement at the touch of a button is unbelievably helpful.  Also, having a 3D model makes for much easier conversations with clients or the boss lady project design.  

• Like 2

Haven't used Visio for ages. Like you I tend to think in 2d. Up until recently I was using CadStd on windows, a small cad package. Recently I moved to iDesign an app for iphone and/or iPad. Tried sketch up didn't like it. IDesign can export as PNG, Jpeg, PDF...

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else using Microsoft Visio for project drawings.  Because I've used Visio at work since the 90's I started using it for my latest woodworking project.  I've also used Sketchup recently but my long term familiarity with Visio seems to have made me think and dream in 2D.  Perhaps I'm the only one in the Forum but maybe not!  BTW, I'm currently using Visio 2007 Pro.  I wanted to upload my latest project which is part of a kitchen remodel involving moving/resizing cabinets, doors and drawers and building a new face frame over an existing lazy susan however when I attempted to attach a Visio flies there was an error, "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".  Maybe I just answered my question!

Pete

Hi Pete,

I sometimes use Visio at work (2010 and 2007) but not for engineering type layouts. I used AutoCad for many years at work and also still use it at home occasionally. However since woodworking came a "serious" hobby a few years back I have found the joys of 3d modelling in the shape of Sketchup.

Not sure what you are trying to attach Visio files to. Could you elaborate and I could try to see what is happening?