please help me with this refinish project!

mrsjrjohnson

Hi there!  I'm refinishing this table for a friend and number one, I wanted to verify the wood is pine and number two, get recommendations for removing the dark splotches on the wood.  

I've stripped the top and I started sanding with 80 grit.  I know that is rough for pine if it is pine but there are some deep scratches and dark spots.  The goal is to re stain to match the refurbished bottom and I know that I can't make it perfect but i want to make it nice as possible even if it is a little rustic/primitive.  So my goal is to finish sanding with 80, then step up to 120, then 220.  I also know that I'm skipping some grit levels for some wood workers taste.  So would any of you bleach this top and if so, before or after sanding?  

The original finish is reddish colored stain.  Would you fill the holes with a stainable filler or match the filler after staining.  Anymore recommendations would be great appreciated!  

Thank you! 

Mrs. Johnson 

post-14347-0-73849000-1375728559_thumb.j

post-14347-0-26623800-1375728563_thumb.j

post-14347-0-76286500-1375728566_thumb.j

post-14347-0-71937400-1375728571_thumb.j

Thank you for responding Mr. Haydon!  I'm in the USA and so far I've not found the perfect wood filler, if there is one.  Any recommendations?  I just got off the phone with her and she realizes it is all not going to come out and is ok with some gouges and scratches.  

I do have a palm sander and I'm going to invest in a good orbital "starter" sander soon.  :)  

Hey Mrs. J. Welcome to the forum. If you use an orbital sander w/80 grit paper, you should be able to get most of the discoloration and "distress" out of the wood. It looks like pine to me. I've always used Famowood or PE Professional Wood Filler (Natural) to fill pine. None of them will blend perfectly, but it does a fairly decent job. It dries fast and sands off easy. Be aware that pine usually blotches when you stain it, so don't look for the perfect finish.

• Like 1

Mrs J, Just read my post and it read really badly, sorry, long day. Perhaps consider hiring a belt sander if it's a one time job. Orbitals are great but I do like a good 4" belt sander on jobs like this. 

TRB has a good lead on filler, well worth taking his advice on that and the tricky job of staining pine.

First, welcome to the forum! If you want to avoid the blotchiness that often results from staining pine or other soft woods, try sanding 2 or three grits finer than you think you need. This helps to 'burnish' the soft, porous wood fibers, causing the open pores to absorb less stain. I have had reasonable success with that technique. Also consider a shellac sealer coat before stain. I use Zinsner Bullseye clear shellac, mixed with equal amount of denatured alcohol. Use more alcohol to make a thinner fluid if you want a darker stain, as the sealer will prevent stain from penetrating the wood very well. This helps with blotching, but requires more / darker stain to achieve the same end result. For a smooth finish, lightly sand with 320 or higher between sealer and stain.

Good luck with your project, and let s know how it turns out!

• 1 month later...