turning antler first time

duckkisser

tried turning antler for the first time yesterday.  one it stinks like burnt hair.  so cut outside the house. 

when I turned the antler its hard like corian so you have to take light cuts or else it catches.  when it catches it tends to slip out of center or even get puled out of chuck. the shaving are paper thin almost like dead skin  so take it slow and easy.  I turned a knob for a box when I get it done ill post a picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched a knifesmithing video some time back that used antler for the hilt.  the smith stated that the antler stinks up the shop worse than anything he's used.  I've turned one acryllic that might debunk that, but I'm planning on following his recommendation on getting a full cross breeze going before starting my first one.  I've been told by my leather contact and by another smith that antler is not very forgiving... if you aren't careful, you can go too far quickly.  *(second hand knowledge, not experience.)  

But nobody has said how to finish one.  can you just use a CA coat, or do you just buff and gift?

• 4 months later...

Thought I would update this I made a few pens out of antler. It's tuff to turn I had to sharpen my scraper a number of times but the scraper worked better the my gouges for this. But the hardest part is drilling a hole in the curving antler. After blowing out the sides of a few blanks I learned that I can get it right every time with this method. I am thinking that this method will work for other odd shaped turnings.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEEaF8z2jM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSAEEaF8z2jM

I also found that a ca finish works great on antler.

I never post a picture because I ended breaking the knob.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I don't use gel it too tacky, get thin CA. I buy it in the craft stores by the model building kits. I find that it dries just the right speed when I put boiled linseed oil on it. First I put on the oil on the pen and allowed it to set for a moment. Then I drop a couple drops of CA quick rub with the paper towel to spread evenly. Then i allow the glue to spin till dry. Light rub with steel wool. And repeat 3-4 times. Finally I turn it up high and with a soft cloth with some metal polish I polish the hell out of the pen blank. Some people use micro mesh and sand to 8000 but I think that's silly it's a pen it will end up scuffed and scratched I only sand to 600 and I think it's plenty shiny when I'm done.

As for the antler some are very dense with the center being very porous. Others the porous center is bigger. I believe this has to do with the health of the animal when the antlers shed and it's diet while the antler was growing. To deal with the porous center I flood the antler as I'm turning it with CA when I get to the porous parts. This keeps it stable and smooth. Antler that has laid on forest floors for a while become dry rotted looking and can still be used but are more brittle and prone to breaking on the lathe. So careful cutting with those pens. Good luck and post any pens you make.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would update this I made a few pens out of antler. It's tuff to turn I had to sharpen my scraper a number of times but the scraper worked better the my gouges for this. But the hardest part is drilling a hole in the curving antler. After blowing out the sides of a few blanks I learned that I can get it right every time with this method. I am thinking that this method will work for other odd shaped turnings.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEEaF8z2jM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSAEEaF8z2jM

I also found that a ca finish works great on antler.

I never post a picture because I ended breaking the knob.

Well ain't you just the cat's meow!! Nice!