Best finish for outdoor wood.

PerezM

Building a replica of our 107 year old cross at my church.

The old one will go inside and the new one will replace the old one on an exterior, south facing wall. 

The new one will be, old reclaimed douglas fir.

What is the absolute best clear finishing for this?

I am in California and the VOC thing is making it hard to find anything decent.

Thank you,

Mike

Being in CA with a Southern exposure I would plan on being able to refinish every 4-5 years.  IMO regardless of the finish used, it's going to take a beating from Mother Nature.  But, I do agree with Triple H; a good epoxy base with a high UV finish over top. 

Everyone has their own personal fav's, but mine is using West System epoxy with their 207 clear hardener, followed up with Pettit spar varnish 2015..  I'd suggest 2-3 heavy coats of epoxy and since you're in CA, I would do at least 4-5 coats of the varnish.  That's much more than what I do in my area (Northern WI), but we also don't have anywhere near the sun / UV exposure you get :o .. 

There are some vids on youtube that go over the process.  If you decide to go this route (epoxy + varnish) it will be absolutely glass smooth!

How big of a cross is this?

I am in So. Cal too and building a garden gate out of White Oak.  The last thing in the world I would do is put a film forming finish on an outdoor project.  Except for maybe the marine/boat finishes.  I am planning to use numerous coats of Watco Exterior Wood. 

The name of the game is a "renewable" finish here.  Best case if you go out ever year, clean it up, and apply a few new coats for protection.  This is opposed to stripping off the flaking finish, sanding to bare wood, and going thru the whole process over and over for the remainder of your natural life.  :blink:  

Won't be glossy though.

miw

==> Do you want a glossy smooth finish, or more of a rustic, distressed look?

if you are looking for semi-gloss, matte, flat or whatever you can just get flattening agent and have at it...  

as for distressed, maybe distress the surface and seal it with cpes alone?  i did some owl houses in red ceder, then sealed with cpes -- the result is pretty natural looking as the cpes ages to a dull finish without a uv-coating.  has held-up well, although the cpes will break-down over time.  I think if i had distressed the surface, it would look ok.

I live most of the time in Southern California and had amazing results with Sikkens Cetol 1 for the first coat and Cetol 23 for second and third coat. I think Ventura County is a little more flexible.

If you can't get this in So Cal. buy the product online and have it shipped to Vegas and find out if you know somebody coming to bring it for you.

Another recommendation is to seal the end grain of the door. I did that with a gate and sealed it with Epoxy West Systems.

• 2 months later...

For an old reclaimed Douglas Fur, I would use one of the finishes and stain from Storm System to help maintain the look, and the integrity of the cross. Storm System - http://www.stormsystem.com/products/category-2/ - has finishes that vary from different types of wood and can help and bring out the natural beauty and hues in the wood.