Can anyone resaw 1/8" veneer out of???

Tom King

17" wide Heart Pine boards?   I have some reproduction doors to make for an 1828 house.  I have boards suitable to make the 3/4" panels out of if I can get several pieces out of a 2" by 17" or 19"  board.  This would allow me to make the double doors with book matched panels and no knots.

I can ship board sections to you.  Premium price is okay.  I'll even buy you a new blade to do it with.  I just have a 14" bandsaw.

Sorry I can only do 13.75" on my 24" bandsaw go figure. I can have it sliced and backed into thin veneer. I would call a woodcraft in your state they should be able to steer you to a guy  that can do it. Commercial shops are going to be your least likely bet because commercial saws have realistic resaw heights. Consumers saws tend to have oversized resaw heights because that what the consumer thinks is important.

Sorry I can only do 13.75" on my 24" bandsaw go figure. I can have it sliced and backed into thin veneer. I would call a woodcraft in your state they should be able to steer you to a guy  that can do it. Commercial shops are going to be your least likely bet because commercial saws have realistic resaw heights. Consumers saws tend to have oversized resaw heights because that what the consumer thinks is important.

What do you consider an oversized resaw height?  I work in 12" widths throughout the milling process.  I like that size as a sweet spot for board pricing and a good width.  

==>  I live on Lake Gaston, in North Carolina, near the Virginia border

I'd start by contacting local cabinet shops.  Also, some stair-builders have large bandsaws -- I know the two near have 18 or 24" saws...

None anywhere near me with the capability.  I'd rather ship it than drive an hour and a half one way.

==> None anywhere near me with the capability.

Now that's too bad...  You know, Powermatic's annual sale starts around now... Their PM1800 would be a welcome addition to any shop :)

Have you looked into vocational schools in your area?  Some high school shops have eclectic tool collections -- I know ours has an out-sized lathe and joiner that was donated when our local pattern shop closed...

If you have to ship, there is a MarketPlace section on the forum...

==> None anywhere near me with the capability.

Now that's too bad...  You know, Powermatic's annual sale starts around now... Their PM1800 would be a welcome addition to any shop :)

Have you looked into vocational schools in your area?  Some high school shops have eclectic tool collections -- I know ours has an out-sized lathe and joiner that was donated when our local pattern shop closed...

If you have to ship, there is a MarketPlace section on the forum...

All vocational schools closed and cleaned out some years ago anywhere within an hour and a half.  This is not a very populated area.  Total population of the whole county 22,000, and it's a big county.  If this was available anywhere locally, I would most likely know about it.  I've been looking at that very bandsaw, but probably less than 10 % of what I do is done in the woodworking shop, and I'm going to need to spend several times that much this fall on stone working tools.

What do you consider an oversized resaw height?  I work in 12" widths throughout the milling process.  I like that size as a sweet spot for board pricing and a good width.  

Comercial shops generally have commercial saws. Its not realistic to put 18 + inches of resaw capacity in a bandsaw once you get that size its the wrong tool for the job. Usually only hobby saws have that sort of capacity but not because they can handle the work  it marketing. Like the last poster stated his Baker only does 12", my 24" on 13.75" and those two would be considered alot of resaw height. Commercial resaw bandsaws are usually held down to about 8" with 20 hp motors.

Comercial shops generally have commercial saws. Its not realistic to put 18 + inches of resaw capacity in a bandsaw once you get that size its the wrong tool for the job. Usually only hobby saws have that sort of capacity but not because they can handle the work  it marketing. Like the last poster stated his Baker only does 12", my 24" on 13.75" and those two would be considered alot of resaw height. Commercial resaw bandsaws are usually held down to about 8" with 20 hp motors.

Glad I picked a 12" cap.  I do want a larger bandsaw, but for the table capacity, not the resaw cap.

Couldn't you get someone with a portable Wood Mizer type mill rig up some kind of holding jig and, have them slice the veneer? I have no experience with this so this is more question than an answer.

You could but it would waste alot of wood. Personally I would not resaw the full widths. Id split it and book match the book match. This way the two doors would have matching book matched panels. 

Thanks for all the replies, and efforts to help. 

This is reproduction work.  The originals had all panels, as well as stiles and rails in single, non edge joined boards.  There is enough of the 1828 doors left to tell how they were built, but nothing worth the effort to try to salvage.   I don't compromise, and that's one of the reasons people are willing to pay for my services.  This owner is especially particular about being authentic to the original.

I have the ideal pieces to cut these panels out of, in some old boards with long enough sections without knots, and nice grain.  The pieces needed are a little over 2' long.  It's really no big deal for me to put short boards in a box and ship them somewhere.

My first post covers everything that I'm interested in on this.  The way it's looking, we probably won't even get to this job until next Spring or Summer at the earliest, so there is no hurry at all.  I don't do deadlines.

Actual finished size of the largest panels is 16 x 28-1/2 inches.  There are four of them, four more a little shorter, and four more a lot shorter.  They are vertical in the two sets of twin doors in 44-1/2 inch wide openings.  There are enough scraps of the originals left to tell exactly what size every piece was.  Each set is under a porch roof.

They go at the ends of the main hall in the house in the first and second pictures on this page:    http://www.historic-house-restoration.com/

• 11 months later...