Huge Mahogany Coffee Table !

wdwerker

Good eye to see those. Yes I just used exterior 3/4 ply scraps and batch cut them. About a 3" square block with a 1 1/2" knotch cut out of the corner. Then I lopped of the back corner at a 45 degree angle. The diagonal clamp only grabs a single edge of the 45 degree cut so pressure is transferred evenly. I use them for several jigs as well to hold parts in place from the corners ,they just screw in place.

The finish I use is tough to sand between coats. With such a dark stain it is easy to sand through into the stain especially with,all the long square edges and corners. So I spray 2 or 3 thin coats of sanding sealer before I sand then a couple of topcoats with the catalyzed finish.

• Like 1

Finished it up on Monday. Glass came in on Tuesday. Delivered it today! Clients new house is behind schedule so the table had to go into storage. I am glad I got a few pictures in the shop yesterday. After he moves in we are going to build a console/ sofa table and a side table to fit between a pair of chairs to match the coffee table. I will be able to take some better pictures when we deliver the next order.

post-6363-0-70378900-1378944953_thumb.jp

post-6363-0-61269300-1378944986_thumb.jp

It was hard to get these pictures, had to shut off lots of lights that reflected in the glass.

Client was thrilled and excited to order more pieces to match.

Table without the glass weighed about 146 lbs. Glass must add 50 lbs at least.

We put 2 adjustable glides on each leg so it could be leveled and slide without marking the floor.

• Like 2

We built it thinking about being able to move it. It breaks down into 4 sections, 2 leg and crosspiece assemblies, 1 center cross piece and the 80x43 top. I was worried about fitting through doorways and turning corners. One person can carry each part.

Dominoes line up the joints and provide strength and a few carefully hidden pocket screws hold the joint tight. Look back at the pictures, I figured out how to run a pocket screw into a domino to lock it in place, but allow for dis-assembly.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...