Krenov style saw horses

rodger.

After buying my new sprayer, I needed a project to test it out on. I have been planning on making a set of these for a while, so I thought this would be a perfect time.

The entire project is made of white ash, just over 13/16" thick. I was originally planning 3/4, but everything was perfectly flat and smoothed by 13/16ths.

The finished height is about 30 inches,, and the top stretcher is 27.5 inches long.

The uprights are connected to the feet with 3/8" tenons, about 3/4" long. Nice and beefy!

The lower stretcher is though tenons, and the upper stretcher sits in a notch. its pinned by a recessed screw so that it can be replaced if necessary. I used kreg screws, because they have a flat head and are of good quality (and I have a bunch of them lying around).

Finish is 4 coats of genral high performance satin (water based), applied with the earlex 5500.

These horses will serve a whole host of tasks in the shop. I am thinking they will be great for organizing lumber in the milling process (two levels to stack boards), and also great for holding a project while it is being glued up/clamped. it could also provide a base for a finishing platform.

I got the general dimensions and design from FWW issue 208.

-pug

post-6372-0-55663400-1378063639_thumb.jppost-6372-0-39770300-1378063732_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Very nicely done. I suppose these are trestles and the grizzly old beasts I use are more like sawing horses. I like the idea of having a pair of light pair of trestles for the task you set out. Nice Job!

Thanks! These are pretty light, and nestle nicely together if required so they can take up less space.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done. I suppose these are trestles and the grizzly old beasts I use are more like sawing horses. I like the idea of having a pair of light pair of trestles for the task you set out. Nice Job! 

Agreed, they are a nice job.  My problem is that I haven't got space for them in my shop :(  - Rob

Bad times  :(

Not bad times as such, just lack of space to store them.  'Shop size is 20x12' and in it I have a 10" table saw, router table, AirPress vacuum bag, power tool storage unit, two bandsaws, three vacuum dust extractors, engineers high speed grinder, Jet disc sander, Jet 260 planer/thicknesser, small lathe, pillar drill, metalwork bench, sharpening station, lots and lots of loverly timber, a 'take off' table (which doubles as an assembly bench) and a 7' solid beech cabinet maker's bench.  I'll happily make a set if someone could magic me up a bit of space - Rob

• 6 months later...