Hand tool blasphemy?

sbarton22

Is it hand tool blasphemy to really want a wood block plane...i.e. a Hock block plane... but not want to actually build it?

I have so many projects backing up, and as we know, each project will need jigs and other various things that you need to build before you can build the thing you want to build.

I'm not sure I want to add making a plane to that list.

Any sage advice or am I just being lazy?

LOL, from the subject line, I thought you just painted some cows grazing on a pasture on your newly acquired Stanley #1. Just buy whatever you need, dude. Don't go trying to extract metal ore to forge your own chisels to do some woodworking!

cheers,

wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

Meek is the only one I know making krenov style planes commercially.  Philly Planes in England is making traditional style planes but does custom work (i.e. for a block maybe) - his prices (even in Pounds Sterling) are more reasonable to me.

Have you watched the Highland (IIRC) video of the building of the Hock Kit - it looks pretty quick if you don't find anything else that fits your bill.

Yes, I've watched the video. And it does look easy enough. that is actually what spurred this thread. It looks like a fella could bang that thing out in a day or spread out over a weekend and mixed in with other projects.

The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to build it, but then I looked at my laundry list of stuff to complete and I backed off.

Still straddling the line on what to do. If I him-haw around long enough, my schedule might open up and I can actually do it!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're open to other forms I have a little $30 Japanese 42mm Kanna block plane that I got from Tools from Japan.  I love using that little sucker and it's very versatile.  It's small and simple enough that it doesn't need the set up that most/traditional kanna need.

Sure! What's that all about? do you have a photo?