Newbie needs help...

Jonathan Baumeister

I'm new to furniture and I purchased a new project, when I started taking it apart to evaluate what I will be purchasing for the project I stumbled on markings.  I'm assuming they are for the year the piece was built, but I don't know enough to make out what I am seeing.  The wood is in great shape and has a slight wrinkle in surface from the age.  I think I will simply upholster the piece and enjoy it.   

Thanks for any info! :)

post-14518-0-22829900-1379304861_thumb.j

post-14518-0-07201800-1379305171_thumb.j

The one thing I can make out for sure is "Repaired and Refurbished May 1923 by ..."  and then I can't make out the name.  The piece looks French to me but has  high Victorian style to it.  I'd guess (emphasis on guess) it originally was made somewhere between 1820 and 1860.

At the bottom, the pencil writing gives an address.  Looks like 142 Papist St. or something like that and I can't make out the rest.  The name appears to be "F. Gease."

Sorry, you are correct, the pencil Does say repaired and refurbished May 1923, either F Gease or G Gease and the address is correct as well.   I was wondering about the dark heavy M? and 12, Is that some sort of mark for a year, or would it maybe be something the maker used to mark what piece they were working on, because each piece of the sofa has that matching mark.  

Thanks for your response, sorry I wasn't more clear with my question. 

Sure appears to be a script U not M. The dark mark has the look of a QC mark from production environment post 1880 and not a date. Before doing Anything with the pieces I would have them professionally evaluated. Whether it is a maker's mark from the early 1800s or a QC mark from the late 1800s can make a substantial difference in value even refurbished as it is.