GRR-RIP Block Pushblock

Yaksouth

I have been woodworking for over 20 years and have always used homemade push sticks for sawing, routing, etc.  This GRR-Rip Block outperformed anything I have used.  The "Podular Green" sole provided an extremely strong grip.  And the large, angled handle provided comfort and consistent contact with any fence.

I could control large panels on the table saw due to the Blocks "grippiness".  Smaller pieces were also easily controlled whether the cuts were vertical against the fence or horizontal against the table.  Used it on router table, band saw and table saw with ease.

Only suggestions would be to mold a tab with a hole in it on either end to allow hanging the block on a hook when not in use.  Large handle is not as convenient for hanging.  Also a narrower version would be useful for cuts using narrower stock.   

post-14481-0-21422800-1379601730_thumb.j

post-14481-0-29242000-1379602092_thumb.j

• Like 1

The only thing better than a  GRR-Ripper is two GRR-Rippers!  I bought my first one 4 or 5 years ago and got my second about two years ago. 

My only problem with them is that once in awhile I get sloppy and inadvertently cut it with the saw blade.However the same thing happened with my old push blocks and sticks. Replacement parts are available however.

They are especially useful for cutting thin strips which I do a lot and that is what sold me on them in the first place. I have the old original style. 

Rog 

I have a couple of them, and like them a lot for special situations.  They make an extra "leg" for pushing narrow stuff.  That stays on one of mine.  Mine stay in the drawer under the right, long wing.    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2004393/29400/18-side-leg-for-micro-jig-grrripper.aspx

Oops, I didn't realize we were talking about different things.  I have some of those on order.  I'll stick with the Grrripper for narrow pieces.

They should have changed the name more.  GRR-Ripper and GRR-Rip Block ????????

I have several of them.  LOVE them!!  Yaksouth, you said a version for narrow stock would be handy.  I've used mine to cut 1/8" stock on the tablesaw.  Do you need narrower than that?  I've also sacrificed the pad on occasion to cut other stuff.  I love using it in conjunction with my tablesaw sled for odd angle.  I just mark them out and hold the work piece on the sled and push through the blade.  Works great, and very safe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought 2 of the deluxe versions at the Atlanta Woodworking show a month or so back. It took quite awhile to put them together, so that was annoying, but they quickly became used daily in my shop!

I have a commercial client that I build display parts for. They are covered in plastic laminate . I end up cutting hundreds of short strips for all the edges. If I cut the strips only an 1/8 to 3/16 bigger than the core to be laminated it makes routing them go faster. But up until I got these grripper push blocks it was hard to safely cut hundreds of accurate tiny strips of laminate. So I had been cutting them a bit bigger.

Using 2 grrippers I got into a rhythm and was safely ripping pieces as small as 11/16 x 16" at an incredible rate. What used to take all day was done in 2 1/2 hours . Over one thousand pieces cut and all were so clean and accurate, no rippled edges from riding off the fence.

It really paid off when I had to route all 4 edges of each and every strip, 2900 edges gets pretty repetitive but it is profitable !

A few ladies I know have been asking for cutting boards so I gave the grrippers a tryout on some scraps of 8/4 hard maple. I liked how smooth the entire strip was after ripping. There is usually a burn or ripple when you switch to a push stick to finish the cut.

So even at the almost $180 that I spent they are quickly paying off in speed, safety and increased quality of cuts

I got the Micro Jig GRR-Ripper Basic 3D Push Block System GR-100 it's great, should have gotten it a long time ago. Marc video and other reviews on the web sold me on it.

Like others have said Micro Jig has a great product line.

With that said I use and had for a long time the Bench Dog Ultra Push-Bloc at 1/3 the price the Micro Jig Grr-Rip Block, it also has a high-friction rubber surface that works fine for me. I can't see me buying a $30 push-block when my $10 works fine.

I only have one and only use it at the table saw and occasionally at the band saw for weird cuts that you never seem to do more than once.  I don't really see the need for two but having one is indispensable.  Everywhere else I just use the big Bench Dog push blocks.  I did roast a pair of the BD's on the jointer doing the Roubo build, though.  Needed to wax the tables but I was too lazy and all the force and repetition pushing those big sticks through pulled the grippy padding stuff off.  They're good blocks though if a moron isn't using them.

• Like 1

I might also buy one or two.  I've seen them used in videos and they look useful, my only hesitation is that I  find the product line confusing, and it looks complicated and gimmicky.   Maybe it is just me, but I think they'd sell more if they did not offer so many options and configurations.    But I trust your opinions so will give it a try. 

I too was in the camp that these products were an expensive gimmick.  At the last WIA I bought the Grrr-rip Block, as it was around $25.  Using that completely changed my mind.  Fortunately for me my local woodcraft had an event the following weekend, and had the same guy from Micro-jig at the store that was at WIA, with the same show pricing.  So I ended up buying the Grrrrr-ripper a week later.  I will be buying more of each, especially the Grrr-rip block so that I have a set for each machine.

The thing I quickly came to admire was how I could adjust it to work in a situation like ripping 8/4 stock and then switch to 5/4 and keep going. When I was ripping long thin strips of laminate I used a hand over hand motion with 2 blocks and got excellent results and built up speed as I got used to the rhythm . If you don't keep a little tension on thin stuff like laminate it try's to ride up the saw blade , using 2 blocks cured that as well.

Kinda funny   :lol: the post started off talking about the "GRR-RIP BLOCK"  and now I can't tell if we all are talking about the 

GRR-Ripper 3D PushBlock?

or

GRR-RIP BLOCK?

this why I have not bought any of their stuff.  I can't keeep it all straight.  The goofy spelling of their name is cute, until you try to do an amazon search.   just call the thing what it is and save your goofy branding for a tag line. 

this why I have not bought any of their stuff.  I can't keeep it all straight.  The goofy spelling of their name is cute, until you trip to do an amazon search.   just call the thing what it is and save your goofy branding for a tag line.

Any time I ever post about them I have to refer to the company website for the same reason.

http://www.microjig.com/products/

I classify them like this, the GRR-Ripper 3D Pushblock is for the table-saw, and the GRR-Rip Block is a high end push pad for the jointer.

I have 2 Grr-rippers and use them all the time. Eric, the nice thing about having two is keeping constant contact on longer pieces. I just cut 3 pieces of purple heart that were 3/8" wide on 5/8 thick stock. Nice consistent cuts and my hands were never near the blade. Then turned the Grr-rippers sideways and used them to rout the pieces I'd just cut.

I plan to buy a couple of the Grr-rip pads for the jointer.