Matt vanderlist

halbrn

I get a little behind on what goes on with the woodtalk show cause I'm still catching up, but I just read the email about people sending emails about you leaving? Screw them, you guys are an awesome combination and I think Matt brings a lot of life to the show with his humor. I've watched other woodworking programs and when it's over I don't feel as if I learned a thing. Why? Because I thought the hosts were so boring I ended up making fun of them then paying attention to the content. So keep up the good work guys the show is great

• Like 2

It's amazing how many people will complain about things they get for free. The company I manage does a lot of free educational webinars, blog posts, and meetings and there are always people that think you should be doing more for them or feel they have the right to criticize.

Eff'em.

+1. 

• Like 2

I was disgusted to read Matt's post on this.  I've been on the earth for over three decades now and I'm still constantly surprised by the number of a-holes out there, especially ones who hide behind a keyboard.  Good for Matt sticking it out and not letting a few rotten apples spoil the bunch.

The only 'generous' explanation for the negative comments is that some listeners are expecting only a technical woodworking show. While I've learned a lot listening to the show, it's also entertainment. Some folks just can't seem to grasp this. I have listened to every show, and while the early shows were good, the three together are what makes the show really work! Marc, Matt, and Shannon--keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Three grape sodas per show?  I'll chip in!

I have to agree with the comments here.  (And since I'm off the sinus meds, I might be aable to explain my comments on his site... and then agoon naybe mot.)

If matt ever left woodworking, it would indeed be a sad day for us.  I appreciate that Matt is a hobby guy.  He's never made any bones about being anything but a hobby guy.  This is something he does for fun, not work, and he's made it work very well.  Why should he (or any other woodworker who falls into his shoes) be expected to be a professional wood worker?  Just because they have a camera, a microphone, can splice together images into something informative, and have a great speaking voice, doesn't mean that they should be expected to collect a paycheck for it.

I'm sure that Matt would appreciate getting paid for his hard work.  We all would.  For him to offer humor, skill, caution, and a fantastic perspective and not ask for much in return... That to me is the sign of a good egg.  (It's one of the reasons I listen.  The humor, the knowledge, the fact that the group works well together, the fact that they aren't begging for money like those PBS stations all the time...  I wouldn't still be here if I didn't like it.)