What domestic hardwood combinations to you like?

rodger.

• 1 month later...

I'm far more interested to learn where you get 8/4 Walnut for $1.20 a bf.

Do tell!

Okay, I use a ton of Walnut. A ton of Cherry and a ton of Maple.

Mostly because I can get rough cut 8/4 Walnut at about $1.20/bf. Similar story with Maple.

Cherry, on the other hand, is tougher to find, but I just like it. So, I use it.

So, I tend to mix and match the above a lot.

BTW - I can also get tons of White Oak for a song, but I for what ever reason I'm just not a huge fan of the white oak.

• 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, Llama said:

Red oak doesn't work with anything. 

Ho my..I was wondering how long before the red oak love..:)     I still have people ask for it.   It does make great firewood but takes a while to dry.

27 minutes ago, Jon Burgess said:

does red oak and hard maple work together in term of the movement?

I dont see any problem as long as its dry Jon.   Do you have some on hand?

• 3 weeks later...

Bubinga, maple and ebonized pull

swap-2 (39).jpg

Reddish pecan and maple

swap-2 (42).jpg

Curly hickory and maple with bloodwood pull

swap-2 (44).jpg

With the exception of the bloodwood, all of these woods are pretty affordable and fun to combine.  For exotics in a size to use for detail elements at a bargain, watch for pen turning blanks at clearance or in a grab-bag for a good price.

2 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I'm horribly confused by this... Why did you box joint in the long grain? That is creating end grain to end grain glue joints. Typically all joints are going to be cut in the end grain so that you have a long grain to long grain glue bond. 

Wanted the grain to run parallel with the bottle inside?

• Like 1

Structurally? It's not like it's a foundation for a bridge, I accept that it is not the strongest joint and I am only in the early stages of learning any woodworking skills, but give me a break, if the grain ran sideways it would not be as visually appealing. Sheesh, this is a tough crowd.....Anyway it was a gift, can't see it from my house anymore.

• Like 2

@RichardA:  I wouldn't have thought about the yellow hue in ash and the cherry going together.  Yet another combination idea from the forum, thanks.  I would have never thought about bubinga and cherry either but, Eric took care of that ;-)

@Everyone Else:  We do need to be aware that the written word conveys only the most basic part of a communication.  The absence of body language, facial expression and eye contact mean that we have to consider anything written to be without malice until proven otherwise.  This is just part of participating in a written forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

Exactly.  If I wanted to be malicious, I'd point out gappy joinery, poor proportions, bad surface prep, and just plain ugliness because i do see plenty of that :).  But I don't.  All that stuff is subjective enough that I stay out of it (unless someone specifically asks for feedback on a proposed design).  But I will comment when something is structurally unsound.  And yes, I know it is not a bridge and no one is going to land a 747 on our projects.  But wood moves and unsound joinery will crack with absolutely no outside stress. 

If i wanted to be a jerk, I would point out that I was responding to the OP as far as contrasting wood in a project and not soliciting critiques of either my construction techniques or choice of proportions or if they found my project visually appealing or not. There was a good chance "to stay out of it" wasted , since no one asked for your "feedback." And the saw horse you rode in on!

And 'horribly confused?' You and your saw horse as well!