Huge slabs... Where are they?

Llama

I'm planning my Roubo bench, and I want a huge slab (or two slabs). I found some walnut and butternut ones, but they're not bench tough :)

I'm looking for cherry, maple, beech... Ya know, traditional woods for a bench top. I want to have a contrasting base, so that will depend on what I find.

So, does anyone know of a good source? I'm not in a hurry. :)

I used to live in Washington! I sincerely miss living there. I don't really miss the rain, but I'll take the good with the bad.

I'll keep searching, I don't want to pay to ship a ten foot slab. :)

I don't blame you!

PM me and let me know where you were at in Washington..

Heck yeah! I'll take a maple slab please :) While you're at it, toss on a cherry one too. Ya know, for good measure!

10 footer, 16/4 I assume?  And how wide would you like that sir?

In all seriousness, if you search the "shop" section and take a look at the pics of my shop, you'll see a couple of the slabs that came from them that turned into my wife's quilting table.  I think I posted pics of that as well..  Long story short, I only paid 40 bucks for those slabs of figured maple.  They were 6' x 24" x 5/4..

Mel,

Either of the places will probably have what you need.  The first place is closer, the second will have better prices and more selection.  

I bought the pictured slabs here (http://horiganufp.com).  These are 4/4 maple about 9ft long and 10" wide and book matched.  They were about $100 for the two slabs, I think it was $6 bd/ft, but it was already surfaced.  It just needs a little more work to be perfectly flat.    They do have slabs in 8/4 and 12/4 thickness as well.  The thick slabs are in the $10-$15 a board foot range, but it is air dried for about a year then finished in the kiln and most of the stuff I saw was pretty flat so not a whole lot of waste.  They have a ton of cherry, maple, white oak and walnut but specialize in local species and urban trees, so you can get thinks like hackberry, box elder, pear, catalpa, gingko.  At least that is what they had when I was there.   Their prices are probably a little high compared to what you can get if you drive out to a "country" sawmill, but they are only people I have found close to the city that have a wide selection of slabs and local lumber.    Real nice people too.  Skokie is just north of the chicago border, about a 2 hour drive for you.  I am going to straightline one edge of each board and do a book-matched, live edge desktop for my son.   

post-14089-0-21928000-1381590214_thumb.j

I buy a lot of lumber from Steve Van Osdol in Decatur, Michigan.  His prices are great and he always has a ton of cherry, walnut, hickory, maple and red and white oak.   He carries rough sawn boards as well as slabs.  He is adding a new barn just for slabs sometime soon.  For you this is probably a 4+ hour drive.   Super nice guy too, could not be more helpful.  Often times I call ahead with my order and he will have the boards picked and planed and ready to go when I arrive.  Of course you can pick your own boards too.    He also does custom work, if there is something you want he can try to locate a log and saw it up any way you want.  He seems to have a good network from northern michigan to southern indiana so can get most anything.   Also great source from figured lumber.  He said he buys a lot from some Amish guys who use more plain maple and cherry so he buys their figured boards.    I got this figured maple board for $60.  It is 14" wide by 7' long and the figure is consistent from top to bottom.  You could do a whole bunch of shaker table tops out of that one board!  He is doing an open house November 2, looks like a fun event and might be worth the drive.

http://www.hickoryandoak.com/pricing.htm

post-14089-0-55605700-1381590213_thumb.j

post-14089-0-90151300-1381590213_thumb.j

From his facebook page:

OK, ladies and gentlemen it is time for our annual Hickory&Oak open house!
Date is November 2nd from 10am to 2pm.
Location is at our facilities at 90931 52nd st Decatur MI

All lumber will be discounted with special lumber packs at rock bottom prices. There will be sawmill demonstrations, and probably the best part is there will be free food as in donuts and cider and maybe a few other treats.
Professional woodworker and teacher Bill Sias will also be on hand showing his skills at sharpening hand tools and joinery skills. Feel free to watch his demos and ask him your woodworking questions.

Should be a good time so please stop on by and say Hi and check out our expanding inventory or hardwood lumber and thick live edge slabs

4 hours isn't too bad of a drive. Especially if I can get what I'm looking for! I'd love to get that maple board you got! $60 is a deal for that board!

As I get closer to actually building the bench, I will likely call one of these guys. Unless ofcourse I can get something locally, which hasn't been fruitful yet. But, hey, ya never know!

I sort of assumed wisconsin would be a good place to buy lumber, but maybe it is mostly softwood trees when you get further north?

I can get any size walnut and butternut I want. The stuff that's good for benches is tougher to get. Perhaps it's spoken for already.

Quick Google search shows three or four mills selling live edge slabs in the Chicagoland area. Are you dissatisfied with the size of slab urban mills produce? (Are you targeting a work bench without lamination or simply looking for premium thickness?) Are you afraid to drive to Chicago for a day trip to look or are you simply hoping for first hand accounts before you drive? I would think prices in that region would be high but that even selection of exotics would be available in the city and much more so regional natives like beech.

• Like 1