This weeks "smooth move"

rodger.

I was gluing up a panel last light, about 22 inches wide. I decided that I better use some cauls, as the panel was decently wide and I didn't want to have to work more than I had to flatten it after the glue up.

So I grab 2 sets of my shop made cauls, which have tuck tape on one face. I clamped up the cauls and then I finished by clamping the two 11 inch workpieces together. Off I went to have a cold beer - I was done for the night.

Today I go into the shop and loosen the cauls. The first set drops off no problem with a clunk. I go to the second set and the bottom caul is stuck. No big deal I think, it's prob just a bit of glue squeeze out between the panel and tape.

I flipped it over and went "D'oh!"

post-6372-0-47660400-1381965002_thumb.jp

Luckily, it came off with a little tap from a hammer. I was very careful with the squeeze out, as I am planning on staining this piece.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

==> I flipped it over and went "D'oh!"

You know, I've come awfully close to doing that on a couple of occasions...  I knew it's bound to happen at some point -- just Murphay's Law... So I decided on a preemptive strike... As I take cauls off the wall for glue-ups, I'm stripping the tape and applying WaxiLit on all faces... That way, I'll avoid the D'oh! moment -- at least as far as cauls go...

• 2 weeks later...