Veneer Paper-backed or not paper-backed?

Daniel Berg

Okay I have never veneered anything in my life, truth be told I haven't really built anything either. So this question is coming from a complete noob. But I'm looking at some veneer and its paper-backed. I went over to veneersupplies.com and it appears they mostly have non paper-back. So does it matter? Thanks.

I just watched a video not long ago and it mentioned that some of the veneers are now being sliced instead of cut and the slices are so thin the paper backing is needed to keep it all together and give it some support. I've never worked with veneers either and was looking forward to doing this project with everyone but my financial cushion for things like this just went into replacing my engine control module on my truck. Let us know what you decide on and how it works out.

• 3 months later...

Raw veneer is more for certain professionals.  Raw veneer is simply thin pieces of wood that have to be flattened, seamed and sanded. If you don't have the tools to do this, it can be rather tricky.

Paperback veneer is similar to installing plastic laminate, except you use a veneer scraper rather than a laminate roller.  It's very easy.

A short video that explains the paper backers -  

Depending on your skills and level of interest paper backed can be of use. For a beginner with few tools and skills it is the way to go. If you are somewhat skilled and looking to do more than a few veneer projects then explore plain veneers.

Cutting seams and piecing together a veneer top out of raw slices is not a good place to start for a beginner.

PB and WB veneer is great for production type work I use tons of it for the convenience. Also check your local area there are lots of veneer suppliers that can and will stitch flitches for you. Personally I hate taping together veneer and find that its usually cheaper in the long run just to have my supplier run it through the stitcher.