Painters pyramids

rodger.

I was in lee valley the other day and a pack of 10 painters pyramids was 4.95 by the check out. I saw them and thought of my normal routine of balancing my work on a few nails, which can be frustrating. I decided to give them a try.

I must say that I am impressed by these little yellow do-dads. The hold the work well, and leave almost unnoticeable marks on the underside of a project (so u can spray, flip, and spray again). The pyramids can also be screwed down if you are concerned about them moving about.

I would definitely recommend these. My days of balancing my work on nail heads is over! A simple, effective, inexpensive shop helper.post-6372-0-67779000-1384139047_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I use them quite extensively.  However, I made a modification.  I sanded the tips off the corners on my belt sander.  I found that they left little dimples from the tips on heavier panels.  These aren't a big deal on the bottom or back of pieces, but on show faces, it was very disappointing.  The 1/8" flat created eliminated that problem.

• Like 1

==> I sanded the tips off the corners on my belt sander. I found that they left little dimples from the tips on heavier panels.  

+1...  Exactly... 

I got a slew of them for spraying a kitchen renovation project... Had about 30 panels to spray...  These really came in handy... I've got the 'old style', no screw-down tab...

I have never purchased any "painters pyramids" but, I've made something "almost" as good.

I had several circles that were the center of some 2-1/2" hole saw cuts out of 3/4" plywood that had a 1/4" hole already in the center of them. So, I grabbed a piece of 1/4" dowel and sharpened one end on the pencil sharpener and cut the end off at 2" long and stuck it in the center hole. I kept doing that about seven more times and ended up with eight "pointy" supports that are a bit heavier and more stable than the little plastic pyramids look to be. 

They work just great but, do take up more storage space I'm sure.

Hey! When you're cheap and have nothing but scrap wood laying around put it to good use! :)

Rog