Sewing store project ideas

pghmyn

Since I have a family member opening up a quilting store, I was thinking this would be a perfect place for me to sell some small craft type items. Other than a box to put in some thread and fabric, can you think of anything else easy to build that relates to sewing and quilting?

Ahhhh need to get one of those babies! I actually bought a mini lathe from harbor freight with adjustable speed for $250 about 2 years ago, they are $200 now and honestly I couldn't be happier with it, if money is of concern I would start out with that.

Another suggestion would be a sewing table, I know it's not really a small project, but you can make one, and if it sells it sells, if not obviously your family could put good use to it!! Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ahhhh need to get one of those babies! I actually bought a mini lathe from harbor freight with adjustable speed for $250 about 2 years ago, they are $200 now and honestly I couldn't be happier with it, if money is of concern I would start out with that.

Another suggestion would be a sewing table, I know it's not really a small project, but you can make one, and if it sells it sells, if not obviously your family could put good use to it!! Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That's my thought process. Since this is a family member store, I can treat it like a consignment gallery. If it sells, she can take part of the profit, if not I can go elsewhere and we both are happy.

Coincidentally I just put the first coat of finish on this sewing box tonight.  It is for my wife whose tiny plastic tool box is overflowing with thread and paraphernalia.  It's a bit more involved than a quilt rack but maybe something like this would interest the folks who frequent such a store.

post-6777-0-02955200-1385078717_thumb.jppost-6777-0-28832400-1385078721_thumb.jppost-6777-0-94366800-1385078724_thumb.jp post-6777-0-25402800-1385078730_thumb.jp

The knobs are on order

Ok, since I have a wife that's into that stuff..  The price tags on anything that's for quilting is stupid high!  If I were in your shoes, I think I would have to build a quilting desk and sell it for about 10 times what you got in it!

Ha! This might just be a great opportunity for me to make just a little bit of money on the side :)

Coincidentally I just put the first coat of finish on this sewing box tonight.  It is for my wife whose tiny plastic tool box is overflowing with thread and paraphernalia.  It's a bit more involved than a quilt rack but maybe something like this would interest the folks who frequent such a store.

attachicon.gif20131121_184054.jpgattachicon.gif20131121_184144.jpgattachicon.gif20131121_184158.jpg attachicon.gif20131121_184517.jpg

The knobs are on order

I was just looking at those boxes, exact same boxes. How many hours would you say it took to complete?

I don't really keep track but it seemed like a lot. I could do it perhaps twice as fast now. Lots of firsts for me on this one - the carving, the cantilever mechanisms, even fitting a drawer.

If you skipped the carving or farmed it out to someone with CNC, skipped the dovetails on the drawers, and used a dowel instead of turning a handle you could batch them out a lot faster.

• 9 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I just had another idea.  Some quilters have huge collections of fabric, and they need a way to store them where they can look through them easily.  They may sort them by color, print, etc.

So any kind of storage units might sell.  I was thinking that if they were stackable, then people could buy more as their collection grew.