Sharpening Japanese saws

wintersedge

Most of the Japanese saws I have seen use disposable blade. I have seen a few saws that are close to $100 and I would assume that those are meant to be resharpened. 

Does anyone use Japanese saws and resharpen their blades? Do I need a special saw file to be able to do so? The triangle files I have from Lee Valley seem tailored for Western Saws.

Cheers

I sharpen regular handsaws, and backsaws, but I've never attempted to sharpen a Japanese saw.  I don't see why you couldn't do it though. I use a Japanese saw for some things, but I just buy the 20 buck Irwins and toss it when it doesn't cut good any more.  The only time I can think of when I use one is when bending the saw while cutting is a good thing-like narrowing a tenon without touching either shoulder.  There are special files.  A triangular file is too wide.

As they say, a poorly sharpened saw will cut better than a dull one, so even a half-assed attempt should be better once it gets dull.

You need feather files for sharpening japanese saws. The smaller the saw teeth, the smaller the file, just like western saws. There are several retailers that sell them. Tools For Working Wood and Tools From Japan to name 2. Rip teeth are pretty easy as they're almost identical to filing western rip teeth. Crosscuts are a bit more of a challenge, but certainly doable.

I have a diamond coated feather file that I have used on two saws (look for it on Amazon). It does a good job on impulse hardened saws. You have to be careful not to dig it too strong between teeth and rip out diamonds when you move it. Another thing that helps is evening out the set with a diamond stone. Two full length strokes on a medium grit does the trick.

cheers,

wm_crash, the friendly hooligan